Search the forum,

Discuss Ideal Isar HE24 frozen condensate pipe in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

johnbeard

Hi, I'm a newbie and looking for some advice.

The condensate pipe on our Ideal Isar HE24 keeps freezing, so the boiler stops working (displaying the L:F error code) - when it first happened two days ago I rang our usual heating engineer who, unsurprisingly, said it might take a day or two for him to get out, but he suggested it was probably the external condensate pipe and to try pouring hot water on it. That worked, then it froze up again yesterday, so I did the same again - which worked again. I assume this is going to keep happening until the weather warms up, so I'm looking for a short term alternative solution, as the boiler is at first floor level, so I keep having to go up an icy ladder and pour water from a flask, which I'm not particularly enjoying and is terrifying my wife!

The condensate pipe is 35mm on the outside, and 22mm on the inside. The external pipe isn't insulated, and I'm struggling to find any big enough insulation/lagging at B&Q (I can find better stuff online, but it will obviously not come until the new year if I order it now).

Having looked at other forums, some people suggest cutting the internal condensate pipe and draining it to a bucket, but on one forum someone said that option wasn't appropriate for Ideal Isar boilers as it would lead to flue gases leaking out (I'm spectacularly non-techie, as you can probably tell).

Any other ideas? I'm thinking about buying some heat pads and strapping them to the outside pipe, but whether that will have much effect I don't know.

Any suggestions gratefully received, thanks.

as a short term measure why not pour boiling water down the 22mm internal pipe, it might get through to the ice and melt it, got to be better than going up a ladder in this weather, be careful as it will back up when it hits the ice, on the isar it is ok to terminate into a bucket as the boiler has a trap inside (some who works on these day to day will advise whether i am right in this !!!!!!)

Do as kirk suggested a these boilers do have condensate traps fit and there should be no risk of flue products entering the house.

On another note just be glad that this is the problem you have because I have a list as long as my arm of faults that can go wrong on your boiler

Thanks both kirk and quality for this advice, much appreciated. I have just been back up the ladder with more hot water and a heat pad, which I've tied to the pipe. We'll see what effect that has.

Next step will be to do as you suggest and open up the internal pipe. I'm not particularly relishing this prospect, I don't have a great track record at any form of DIY. I have now downloaded a copy of the full manual, including servicing guidelines, so will give it a go. I assume I need to do this by going into 'service mode', i.e. opening up the front of the boiler and lowering the control box, then disconnecting the condensate pipe from the boiler?

Another question - I've read somewhere else that running the boiler continuously, and turning the boiler thermostat (for heating and/or water, presumably?) to full will help avoid the problem recurring for the moment. Does that sound sensible?

Thanks again.

John

Another question - I've read somewhere else that running the boiler continuously, and turning the boiler thermostat (for heating and/or water, presumably?) to full will help avoid the problem recurring for the moment. Does that sound sensible?

John

I'm not a plumber and possibly even worse at DIY but, I tried as suggested and it didn't work!

Thanks Susie, I suspected that might be the case!

Looks like I'll have to have a go at the internal pipe, then. Wish me luck!!

the more the boiler is on the more it will condense, therefore keeping the boiler on would make the situation worse not better

If you are cutting your condense pipe internally, I would also make sure you have a carbon monoxide alarm.

Some boilers such as the isar and icos do have small traps, and a real potential of flue gases entering the property.

Hi, i've been having the similar problem,but also on mine the condensation trap is leaking from the drain plug valve,its only a plastic screw(red) at the bottom of the trap, any idea where i can get one from? I've tryed a few plumbing merchants,but no one as it.It's worn an cracked so is dripping. Thanks.

does the 32mm pipe on the outside go all the way through the wall in 32mm or is it reduced to 22mm on the elbow and go through the wall in say a 25mm hole? has the 32mm pipe got enough fall on it and what does it terminate into?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Ideal Isar HE24 frozen condensate pipe in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to run the water line underneath. There are existing drain (and who knows what) pipes running along the same wall so I'm nervous about digging too far...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold then would get hot water most of the time. Changing the flow cartridge about 2 years ago (when I moved in) solved this problem enough to suffer it as...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock