Search the forum,

Discuss ideal icos he24 LA fault code in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

sanghera

ideal icos he24 LA fault code
Hi guys,
well I'm new to this site, and really hoping someone can help me!

My dad who is a pensioner had a ideal icos he24 fitted just over two years ago via warmsure/front? since oct 2010 the stupid thing keeps breaking down. It displays LA fault code everytime which in the manual means an overheating problems. At first it was intermitent, but from DEC it seems to be a weekly occasion. It mainly happens first thing in the morning, but has happened at times during the evening too. In the past month we have had differing engineers out 6 times! None have been very useful. They have changed the switch, bled the radiators three times in two weeks, one asked me what the problem was?, another said our radiators were rusty (all have been brand new 18 months ago, another said it was the pressure, yet the pressure gauage is always between 1.5 -2, so again this cant be the problem. The latest has said we have to watch it?? watch what? apparently watch what is causing the problem, the water or the heating. I explained we have both timed to come on at the same time, to this he said thats fine, just call us out again if it happens. But I KNOW it will happen again, but they cant/or wont fix it. Can anyone help as not only is it annoying, it is also costly as I have to keep taking time off work to stay in and wait all day for them to come out. Some members have already said to get rid, was just wondering if anyone knows whether warmsure would replace it with a more reliable model seeing as they definitely got paid more than the cost of this boiler by the goverrment!
Any help or advice would be most welcome.

is it definately the icos a heat only boiler not combi ?is it system boiler or conventional ? check the pump is wired to the boiler for pump over run also check the pump, a faulty pump can cause poor ciculation and over heating.also check the auto bypass is set correctly

ant

it is a combi, howver the serial number sticker that is on the manual gives that icos name. Thanks for all those suggestions, I'll have to get someone in to loook at it as I have no idea what any of those things mean! sorry! I do know though, when it does occur, everything on one side of the pump is hot, and the other is cold. Don't know if that makes things any clearer?

if its a combi its an issar .pump can stick on these boilers i would suggest the next engineer checks the pump

ant

Hi definetly the pump. LA fault code relates to an overheat situation. I presume it does it on both heating and hot water? Strange though, would normally expect to see an L9 or H9 code as well. They have fairly cheap CP pumps in them, so shouldn't cost too much, just needs the head replacing as opposed to the WHOLE unit. :)

Well the heating and water is timed to come on both at the same time so its impossible to tell what is causing it. we have ANOTHER man coming on wednesday. Wait to see what this one says/does. Have asked previous engineers to fix/look at the pump, claim they can't until they know its at fault, not sure how they are ever going to get that confirmation until they actually do/change something. I don't know many professionals who rely on a gift from god to give them the answer to their problems.

Ahhh, you have an Icos System boiler. Not a combi. No probs. All they need to do is remove the 4 securing nuts from the pump head, remove pump and check the impellor. Some had plastic impellors, and they would normally fail. Otherwise it may be something on the system? This boiler must have a bypass if it's fitted on an s plan system. (Pump overrun). Get them to check? If it is a y plan then all ok. (They will know what I am talking about). Do you have full Trv's? (Thermostats on all radiators?). If so this could causing the problem. Errrm trying to think of anything else? Doubt it's thermister related. Try turning the boiler stat down slightly for me, grey dial on the front of the boiler, turn it down by a quarter and see if this helps.

Hi BDL

They have tried messing with the dials, infact that is all they do, one turns it up, the next turns it down. Nothing helps.

The "senior" (Same engineer came out 4 days prior) has now decided due to the apparent pressure drop (its been on 1.5 all day and since!!!) it is infact a leak in our pipe work in the house that is causing the LA fault! Something they do not cover. Incredulous out and out LIARS!

I am not denying that a leak in the pipework could cause low pressure, but the pressure has been fine, never a problem when the LA fault code is flashing.

I am now in the process of writting letters to their HO, the Govenrment dept that were responsible for the grants and my fathers' MP. I will be getting an independant engineer out if they do not send someone who knows how to fix it and charge then charge them for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to ideal icos he24 LA fault code in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold then would get hot water most of the time. Changing the flow cartridge about 2 years ago (when I moved in) solved this problem enough to suffer it as...
Replies
Views
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two hole mixer but the cold water pressure is high mains fed and the hot is low pressure immersion tank fed. I've been trying to find info on what I...
Replies
Views
I have had a look at previous posts and think I know the answer to this but just before I make it worse could I just check what you think about this one. Granddaughter just moved house and this valve decided to leak when it was closed. When open its fine. Normally I have repacked the gland on...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Hope you have all been keeping well. A while back I decided I only wanted to fit one brand of boiler and decided on Viessmann due to space for servicing and changing parts if ever needing to. I am finding my decision rather hard due to the different clearances on flue runs and cupboards...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock