Search the forum,

Discuss Ideal Icos HE 24 - Need info on central heating/hot water system in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

gofish

Hi,

I am new to this forum. I am buying a flat built around 7 years back and received a boiler installation completion certificate through my conveyancer. The certificate indicates the boiler model as Ideal Icos 24HE. When I viewed the flat, I saw a hot water cylinder in an airing cupboard.

1. How is this boiler model? Any bad experiences?

2. Can anyone advise if it is a system boiler with a pressurized cylinder?

3. Before buying the flat, I would like to ensure that the whole heating and hot water system (not just the boiler) is in good working condition. If I request the seller for an inspection report from a gas safe registered engineer will it show the condition of the whole system or just the boiler?

Many Thanks!

A gas safety inspection and certificate will not include the cylinder. It should include all gas appliances. Your best bet is to have an inspection done by someone appointed by you. I do this a lot for prospective buyers.

Thanks for your response.

Is there a standard report format to provide assessment results of the inspection suggested by you? Can you please provide a format so that I know what sort of checking will be done on the overall heating system before I appoint someone?

The Icos/Isar are generally considered to be one of the worst boilers made to be honest.

Generally the Ideal Icos is the better of the boilers that made this range, there was also the Isar combination boiler. The Isar is a terrible appliance, the Icos is marginally better. If it's been maintained well then it should be ok if it's 7 years old, but you really need an engineer that knows what they are doing, especially with the unvented hot water cylinder, which I imagine is fitted.

Generally the Ideal Icos is the better of the boilers that made this range, there was also the Isar combination boiler. The Isar is a terrible appliance, the Icos is marginally better. If it's been maintained well then it should be ok if it's 7 years old, but you really need an engineer that knows what they are doing, especially with the unvented hot water cylinder, which I imagine is fitted.

What is the difference between icos and isar? Whats wrong with icos boilers - do they have a short life? Again, what kind of inspection should i order? The central heating does have a hot water cylinder fitted in an airing cupboard.

The Icos is a traditional style heat only boiler, the Isar is a combination boiler. They're not particularly reliable and Have a problem with the burner chamber, you need to make sure the pins have been changed. If they haven't there's a chance the boiler may badly damage itself when used.

They also leak from the condense trap. By far the biggest repair on this boiler other than the burner pins mentioned above, is the circuit board, which are expensive and go frequently. Every couple of years it'll probably need changing. It'll just stop working one day with no display.

The Icos is a traditional style heat only boiler, the Isar is a combination boiler. They're not particularly reliable and Have a problem with the burner chamber, you need to make sure the pins have been changed. If they haven't there's a chance the boiler may badly damage itself when used.

They also leak from the condense trap. By far the biggest repair on this boiler other than the burner pins mentioned above, is the circuit board, which are expensive and go frequently. Every couple of years it'll probably need changing. It'll just stop working one day with no display.

Thanks for the response. Seems they have too much maintenance cost if not serviced regularly. I am thinking of requesting the boiler service records for last 3 years from the seller. However, not sure of my options if the seller has not got any servicing done - either the boiler is good or the seller is not disclosing the problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Ideal Icos HE 24 - Need info on central heating/hot water system in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello, I am seeking some advice, I have a POTTERTON PROMAX 28 COMBI Boiler and I noticed yesterday that the water around the house is no longer warming up. The heat exchanger has been changed 6 months ago, so I do not believe it is that. Does anyone have any ideas on what it could be? Thanks
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock