Search the forum,

Discuss Humming sound in pipes after heating goes off in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

M

Mares Lane

Hi all

New boiler installed a couple of months ago, just starting to use the central heating with it. Previously had a Baxi back boiler; the new one is a system boiler, sited in loft.

Pipes are initially all quiet after the heating goes off at 8.30PM, but some hours later - around midnight-1AM, a loud humming noise develops. Doesn't happen every night, only intermittently. Seem to be able to stop it by switching the heating back on for a minute or so. Sometimes this method sorts it out the first time; sometimes you have to do it several times and the sound still takes an hour or so to stop.

I'm guessing that it's air in a pipe and starting the heating again clears it. Sound is very much louder in one particular spot, next to (but not in) the airing cupboard, where the pipes come down from the boiler and water tank in the loft.

Any more ideas??

Get the installers back could be something simple

Reply to Humming sound in pipes after heating goes off in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi All, Hope somebody can help :) I have a vented HW system with a pressurised Ch system but got bit of a annoying issue, when the hot water comes on all seems ok then after about 15/20 mins i started to hear a trickling noise from hw cylinder which i can also hear in the boiler. The central...
Replies
Views
M
Hi, we have a back combi heater. Whenever the heating comes on it seems to lose pressure within a few hours and I have to refill each morning. The boiler seems to function well, and the pressure only drops with the heating and not the water being on. Ie it started last winter and was then...
Replies
Views
Hello The heating side of my Ariston Combi A23 has stopped working since a new 3 way valve has been installed. It's been a hugely reliable boiler up until now with regular servicing. When the heating is turned on the boiler ignites and looks to start up but then a few seconds in, knocking sounds...
Replies
Views
Hi all. As the title says, I have a problem with an unvented cylinder I had installed last year where the first time I turn a hot tap on after the cylinder has been heated I get what sounds like a vibration. It generally starts about 1s after I open the tap and lasts for about 1.5s. I've...
Replies
Views
Hi All! Bought a house recently, and we have been having the most frustrating issue with a very loud humming noise that intermittently comes and goes in our pipework. Have had a plumber around to check the issue to no avail so far, unfortunately. We have an Ideal Logic+ c35 combi boiler. System...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock