Search the forum,

Discuss How to release locking nut on mixer tap in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Spiderman

I want to replace a kitchen mixer tap but I can't move the big plastic retaining nut from underneath the sink as there dosent seem much to bite onto with an adjustable wrench. Has anybody got any tips please

You need to invest in a different tool, either a basin wrench or tap spanner (fits completely over the plastic nut, a little bit like a socket set does) they are available from most plumbing merchants

You need to invest in a different tool, either a basin wrench or tap spanner (fits completely over the plastic nut, a little bit like a socket set does) they are available from most plumbing merchants

Thanks, I will try a basin wrench first as I think I can borrow one if not I will look out for a tap spanner you have suggested. I'm assuming that you would need to disconnect the pipe from the other end first to enable to get the spanner all around the plastic holding nut

That correct, you can pick the tap spammer up for less than a tenner in a merchants

Disconnect pipework and rotate body of tap anticlockwise until it rotates freely.
At some point of rotation it should be possible to get tool on nut to stop rotation.
Continue to rotate body of tap with nut held firm.
If all else fails hacksaw or angle grinder will cut brass tap with ease.
Basin wrenches are easy to modify and thick jawed adjustable, used end on, solves many problems

Footprints grips can often get into awkward places.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to How to release locking nut on mixer tap in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two hole mixer but the cold water pressure is high mains fed and the hot is low pressure immersion tank fed. I've been trying to find info on what I...
Replies
Views
Our kitchen mixer tap has started dripping. Like so much of the plumbing in our almost new build bungalow, it is lacking! The plumber didn't install any isolating cocks in the H&C feed to the tap so how can I identify which of the valves is passing? Shut the whole H&C water system down?
Replies
Views
The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
I have attached an image of the brass body within a tap. Having replaced a cartridge which has cured a leaking tap, I can see that there is a small leak from the brass body which can be unscrewed. Is there a seal behind the body? Thanks.
Replies
Views
Every two weeks or so I have to go and top up the system because the hot taps are running cold. Boiler display is flashing 0.6 bar and I fill up to 1.3. I've had an engineer look inside the boiler and he can't see anything wrong. I've checked the pipes all over the house and cannot see any...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock