Discuss How to install a lavatory on plaster wall! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Seckin

We have a wall made of plaster in bathroom. I have to install a wall hung lavatory on the wall. Should I believe the wall could withstand the weight of the lavatory? Do I need to locate any plate or any material to mount the studs and use the lavatory safely?

Have you ever seen any plaster wall to install a wall-hung lavatory ?

A sheet of plasterboard won't hold a wall hung wc!!

You'll need to break into the wall and build a decent wooden frame to hold the wc and/or use the supporting brackets designed for the wc.

If it isnt a close coupled toilet - in other words if the cistern is not sitting on the pan, so therefore a high or low level cistern which relies totally on the screws at top to stop it pulling away from wall, & brackets below it, to take the weight, then you need wall opened up & timber put in, for screws. Cistern full of water is heavy, obviously.

The item is a wash-basin. Do you mean the same features must be provided for a wall-hung wash-basin?

Surely if appropriate heavy duty plasterboard fixings can be used to hang large rads on plasterboard walls (even if not the preferred method) they can be used to support a WC cistern.

But a wall hung pan I'm guessing too much.

Not clear which is being proposed. If there are instructions with item in question it will probably state requirements which will probably exclude use of such fixings.

I'd seriously ask myself if a wall hung WC is the best choice on a stud wall like this. Anything is possible but whether the extra work is worth it is another question...

Edit: hang on - I just heard goalposts moving - are we talking about a washbasin or a toilet?

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought it was a loo?

In either case. Best method is to fix to studs if you can find them or studs you install if not so lucky. But that's not to say you couldn't get away with using other fixings, it just probably isn't sleep-at-night-inducive.

A sheet of plasterboard won't hold a wall hung wash basin!!

You'll need to break into the wall and build a decent wooden frame (preferably with a sheet of ply to the floor) to hold the wash basin and/or use long, Fischer type fixings to go through to the brickwork.

NEXT!!! ...

:wink5:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to How to install a lavatory on plaster wall! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I have a vanity basin and concealed cistern toilet to install. In place if a wall hung basin and toilet in a down stairs cloak room. The only...
Replies
Views
Please can someone tell me the best way of removing a siliconed folding support rail that has been siliconed to a tiled bathroom wall at my mums...
Replies
Views
My sister bought a new build property which has wall hung toilets, NK by Noke Porcelona The pans are all moving enough for the silicone sealant to...
Replies
Views
I’m experimenting with the installation of a floating countertop / basin. At the top of the picture are the brackets I’m considering using. Below...
Replies
Views
60's ranch, with single bathroom. Tile over concrete slab. Toilet is about a foot from exterior brick wall. Vent pipe is in interior wall behind...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock