Search the forum,

Discuss How to go about this ... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

O

Old Account

hi lads I need some advise for the future on how to tackle few bits.

In the past and few days ago I started again works and due to the old houses unexpected more work came up which costed the customer a lot more. However, he had to put a hold on the works and had to go with his brother in law which does it no way for free which is fine with me but to be fair if you plan your works and have suddenly a gap of 3 days you will need to push works around which makes it awagain.

How do you word things on contract to get paid if someone terminates the contract earlier?
Is that wrong to charge 25% due to the inconvenience?

How do you go about the customers which ask you to come along to give them quotes, knowledge, ways around to make things working but in the end they always go with someone else’s? It is quite annoying when you suggest the right ways, the right regs as many people don’t give a ... about gas regs etc.. it happens quite a few times that people go with the cheaper plumber which know less and struggle to give the right answers to the regs.

Customers phone you and keep asking you what to do, what type of system would work, and how I would run this and that.

After days you ring and ask if there is any update on the decision whether they want to hire you or not.

It would helpful to know how you self employed engineers go about what kind of advises you give and how you talk ipwith the customer.

Any advise given would be much appreciated.

Is not I haven’t got work, it’s really the opposite but would like to avoid being used and going out for free and spending t8mes for nothing.

Regards,

Ron

Hi Ron looks to me that they are sucking on your brains I.e using your skill and knowledge to do some of the work themselves.....don't let them dictate to you when you can carry out the work tell them straight that if the work is delayed you need to reschedule your workload so you need at least 24 hours notice or penalties will occur....maybe word something like this in your contract before you commence works ...regards Turnpin:)

Hi Ron looks to me that they are sucking on your brains I.e using your skill and knowledge to do some of the work themselves...don't let them dictate to you when you can carry out the work tell them straight that if the work is delayed you need to reschedule your workload so you need at least 24 hours notice or penalties will occur....maybe word something like this in your contract before you commence works ...regards Turnpin:)
Thank you first of all for your advice and thank you for your input.

You know what it is, it’s just annoying when you go out to quote and people know you know your job and you give the right advice they come back to you more often and asking you how to avoid this and that and how to run this pipe and so on. But in the end they just keep you on the hot stove and later go with someone cheaper. They also ask for break downs on quotes which is fine with me as I do not have anything to hide and like it to make sure the customers fully understands the price and materials. But then again it gives them chances to use the knowledge and materials you have chosen with someone else’s.

The other issue is that some customers stop works and either put things on hold or discontinue the work system due to their budget. I just want to put things in writing when this happens again that they will be charged.

Are you doing these jobs on a fixed price or by the day?

Don't give out too much information to customers until you have the job and have taken a deposit

Are you doing these jobs on a fixed price or by the day?

Don't give out too much information to customers until you have the job and have taken a deposit
Everything is fixed beforehand. But I have no ex ray vision so somet8mes things come up. Like last time a massive low carbon steel pipe ( gas ) was corroded and had to be replaced. I did a Letby and tightness test but it failed right at the Letby as the pipe was not attached to the joint no more. I do not know how they never had any gas smell but the pipe was detached from the 1/2” thread ... it was buried inside the concrete bed.

If you do not explain customers what you would do and what’s the best for them then you will not win. The majority of the jobs I get as it’s all on re ommendation but sometimes new people find you and ring you up. So, I do not know if it’s too much information. People won’t like you if you just come in and nod with a the head. Furthermore they won’t like it weihen you say yeah I can do this. And I will give you a quotation.

It's up to you mate
You need to pick out the time wasters

I try and give s ball park figure before I go if it's not local. Can't be bothered to waste hours quoting.

Reply to How to go about this ... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all. Hope you have all been keeping well. A while back I decided I only wanted to fit one brand of boiler and decided on Viessmann due to space for servicing and changing parts if ever needing to. I am finding my decision rather hard due to the different clearances on flue runs and cupboards...
Replies
Views
Hi. I need a new toilet supply line but don’t know the size type of the fitting at the shut off valve. It is not 3/8 compression. It is a plastic nut about the same size as the one going into the cistern but has a different thread. Attached is a photo. Can you advise. Thanks.
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold then would get hot water most of the time. Changing the flow cartridge about 2 years ago (when I moved in) solved this problem enough to suffer it as...
Replies
Views
Hi all Noticed bad smell in my drain out side put my hand down and it unclogged it for now however I checked my sewer drain and after flushing my toilet a good few times nothing is going to the sewer so don't know is there a blockage or what way it works many thanks and advice would be grateful
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock