Discuss How much gas evidence needed in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Bil123

Hi guys I was hoping you guys can help me . I am starting with a gas safe engineer to get my evidence to sit my acs ccn1. My question is how many hours of on site work is required to sit the exam ? I.e how much evidence does bpec require? Thanks guys for your time in advance .

Look through the Bpec foundation portfolio book you will get from your training provider so that you can an it all out, if you don't have the book get it before you start as there are blank sheets in it so you know what info is required
You can also look on Bpec website for Category 2 end 3 info

Get as many as you can under your belt. 75 plus days on boilers 30 plus days cookers 30 days plus on fires, more if you can. this would be a good target, but I think you may actually need less. If you have trained as a plumber it will be half that
Really study chimney standards and ventilation requirements.

Last edited:
Get as many as you can under your belt. 75 plus days on boilers 30 plus days cookers 30 days plus on fires, more if you can. this would be a good target, but I think you may actually need less. If you have trained as a plumber it will be half that

Your advice of as many as possible is good advice, however in the real world the best way to get th equal is to keep the portfolio to CCN1 and CENWAT, which means you only need to do the boiler days, you then sit and pass the exams, and as a qualified you can then do CKR and HTR as a CAT 1 with no portfolio, care still needs to be taken after that as we all know the qual is only a bit of paper it's experience that counts.

I'm currently doing my portfolio which requires 13 jobs which I believe is all that is required alongside my C&G 6129 and NVQ2 to gain "the bit of paper" . I will however be getting more than that with my mentor before I feel confident on my own. Then it really is ALL down to you!

30 days on fires!
34 years and I bet I haven't done 30 days on fires. Bet I've fitted less than 10 in the last five years.

30 days on fires!
34 years and I bet I haven't done 30 days on fires. Bet I've fitted less than 10 in the last five years.

Quite often when I'm reassessing guys they say the last time they did a spillage test on a fire was 5 years ago on the same fire in the assessment room

Hi guys thanks for all your help , I am starting my placement on Monday so I can't wait to get stuck in, I'm hopeing to work for 3 months then apply for my training course .so if everything goes to plan I'm hopeing to sit my ccn1 some time in the summer after I feel ready . I'm just reading loads on gas safety and regs at the moment to try to get it to stick in my head. What books would people recommend to learn as I have not got a training book yet , I v bought the r.d Trealor second addition which is quiet good and herd about the viper but it's to expensive ?

Hi guys thanks for all your help , I am starting my placement on Monday so I can't wait to get stuck in, I'm hopeing to work for 3 months then apply for my training course .so if everything goes to plan I'm hopeing to sit my ccn1 some time in the summer after I feel ready . I'm just reading loads on gas safety and regs at the moment to try to get it to stick in my head. What books would people recommend to learn as I have not got a training book yet , I v bought the r.d Trealor second addition which is quiet good and herd about the viper but it's to expensive ?

Get the book you will use at he training place, if you have decided where you are going to train ask them if you can pay a deposit to book the course and ask for your book, as you will get one when you start

I'm currently doing my portfolio which requires 13 jobs which I believe is all that is required alongside my C&G 6129 and NVQ2 to gain "the bit of paper" . I will however be getting more than that with my mentor before I feel confident on my own. Then it really is ALL down to you!

Do you have a list of the 13 jobs required ?

Im shocked everyone is saying 70 hours on this, 30 hours on that. Im doing my gas foundation course, i need approx 15 jobs complete then I'm able to sit my ccn1. no portfolio needed after this. Im a cat 2 plumber. this needs to be split over installation, service and breakdowns.

Im shocked everyone is saying 70 hours on this, 30 hours on that. Im doing my gas foundation course, i need approx 15 jobs complete then I'm able to sit my ccn1. no portfolio needed after this. Im a cat 2 plumber. this needs to be split over installation, service and breakdowns.

Hi Dan thanks for your reply , what does the 15 jobs need to consist of ? I Wana have enough evidence so I can sit my ccn1. Do they have to be particular jobs or just gas releated? Thanks In advance m8.

Boiler services, breakdowns (changing parts ect). Fires. Flue flow and spillage testing. A couple of boiler installs. Boiler only. Don't waste time on the radiators ect. Just the commissioning. Make sure you know how to use a flue gas analyser and have plenty of pics with you in it / using it. Tightness test everything before and after. Bla bla bla

Hi guys I was hoping you guys can help me . I am starting with a gas safe engineer to get my evidence to sit my acs ccn1. My question is how many hours of on site work is required to sit the exam ? I.e how much evidence does bpec require? Thanks guys for your time in advance .

I think it's ridiculous and pointless that you have to jump through so many hoops to get on a gas course. I really don't think it improves the outcome at all, as despite all these hoops there are still many many gas engineers out there who know nothing about the boilers they are fitting other than how to fit them.

My preference would be a year long gas course which teaches students everything about regulations, appliances, ventilation, fault finding etc etc. At the end there should be a strict exam both practical and theory.

My issue is the quality of training being provided at many of colleges across the country is so poor that the student is learning everything from their mentor.....and if the mentor is rubbish....then you get a rubbish plumber. Colleges need to look at how they provide training think of better ways of applying this training through day release to companies that have a good record at training people.

Richard978 if the reassessment exam was too strict some of the guys already qualified wouldn't pass

lets be honest most of the time spent taking acs every 5 years is a waste of time anyone whose working on gas doesnt need to do a tightness test or a gas rate or show he can turn on a fga

Richard978 if the reassessment exam was too strict some of the guys already qualified wouldn't pass

You are probably right, but again some of the questions in these exams don't reflect the job in the real world. Plumbers are not scientists and we don't have brains full of British standards and Gas Acts. What is important is that we all know what is safe and what isn't and we all know how to service and fix the appliances we are qualified in. A service these days means sticking the Anton down the flue for many companies.....how can this be safe. If you don't strip the boiler down how will you know the condition of the flue etc etc.

Steve I wish I had a quid for every reassessment guy who can't purge or gas rate without referring to their notes, and these are guys who can't fault find on flues as they "only install boilers" in their words

It's not the practical aspects that I go for every 5 years. It's the legislative bit. Yes we have access to TB's and so on. It's the British Standards you can't as easily lay your hands on.

I try to acquire copies every time I go to CCTS.

At the end of the day its really a Tick Box system - qualified fitters
turn up listen and tick the box-s when they have done that then they are liable

Later if there is a mistake then the liability stops with the fitter.

Newbies have a massive amount to learn and experience - its such a shame
that the apprenticeship scheme stalled in the 80's - maybe its back but
never in its time honoured incarnation which bluntly produced a now lost
generation of good fitters aged 50+ like my lot

CHking

It's not the practical aspects that I go for every 5 years. It's the legislative bit. Yes we have access to TB's and so on. It's the British Standards you can't as easily lay your hands on.

I try to acquire copies every time I go to CCTS.

£75 subscription to Gas Safe gets loads of BS and IGEM docs

I suspect id be wasting my time.
Tradespeople who pay to member bodies and organisations such as gas safe should provide them free.
No least to ensure standards are readily available to those that need to abide by them.
My 2c

But gas safe don't get them free, that's why they charge £75 to pass them on

GSR are licensed to give you access, a really good deal. Its commercial accountancy with BSI, they spend huge amounts to set standards and this has to be passed on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to How much gas evidence needed in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Just an update to anyone who was following the thread on this site: Tify to gas engineer, what will it take? I got a DM from a user asking for an...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone I currently work in oil and gas industry working in North Sea and further afield operating on high pressure oil and gas plants. This...
Replies
Views
Please can anyone help or point me in the right direcrion. I have recently completed a 18 month bpec management learning programme...
Replies
Views
About 10 months I started having issues with a gas like smell in my home and the gas board was unable to find any gas leak I've still got the...
Replies
Views
Hi, need your honest views if you would be so kind. I’m 48 and work for the NHS (office based) and earn 44k a year. Ive been do fustrated and fed...
Replies
Views
Back