Search the forum,

Discuss How much does your sparky charge? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Millsy 82

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
I spoke to a sparky to wire my boilers for me and asked how much he charges an hour and he said £22! I was speechless and he said oh is that too much to which I replied oh no I can manage that.

£28 on site.

its on mark up where the money is a made. a pal of mine regular took £120k p.a m.up for a few years.........

I take it you are talking about a combi ?
I've yet to meet a sparky that can wire a Y or S plan.

I know interesting week next week as client i have been doing plumbing for has their own sparky that needs to wire an S plan .Already had to supply a wiring diagram as all they fitted next to the boiler was a socket lol

sparky wire a boiler? bit excessive

I don't usually get one in if its a swap but I have no feed for the boiler and it's a complete new install so needs earth bonding etc so I needed a sparky.

I've done most of the work for him so it shouldn't take any longer than 2 hours I would of thought 3 if he has a mare.

For £22 quid I may as well get him in on every one!

Very true. I used to wire them up for my last company and the sparky would sign it off as not 1 out of 12 knew how to wire up an s or a y plan. 1 thought he did but as he was running around not sure why the heating wouldn't turn off despite me telling him the Orange and grey should not be linked I soon learnt he knew nothing.

I often use a sparky for jobs where new spurs are required s and y plans and running cables for pump over run. In my mind I can be doing other bits while he's wiring and makes the job that bit quicker for the customer. Looks much more professional too. I can do it but he charges me £25 an hour and has an array of items in his van to get over problems that I don't carry.

After my fiasco yesterday i will be getting a sparks in to wire anything other than a plug just less hassle and i can get on with other jobs.

I literally only wire plugs and swap immersions these days. I used to have part P, but i didn't use it enough. Now I use a spark for pretty much everything, he's a dab hand at s and y plans (he does use a crib sheet every now and then).

I work his prices out for him most of the time, he was charging a ridiculously low price. He's been a good mate for the best part of 20 years now so I make sure he gets a fair price (£30-£40ph depending on work plus markup). I take photos when I price up and if he's not happy he'll arrange a site visit and have a look himself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to How much does your sparky charge? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Morning to any Australians lurking around! Register its free, then message me, I'll sort your account out for you. We will need a moderator from each main country too. I'll post this in the Australian forum now.
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock