Discuss how much do you charge for a Worcester Greenstar strip down? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mike_s

including replacing gasket, cleaning heat exchanger, the full works.
Just did my second one this afternoon on a 24 RI as it was 7 years old and never had a full service.
The last one took me 2 hours, it was a few months ago and I only charged £90 which wasn't enough, I charge £55 for a basic service which is fine as I do a lot of them and customer is always happy.

I was on a worcester course the other week were we stripped one down into what seemed like 100 pieces and put it back together so I thought todays would be quick, with that in mind I quoted £110 this time.

Customer was made up with such a thorough job I did, tightness test before and after, fga and fan pressure before and after, condensate trap cleaned, gasket replacement, heat exchanger cleaning brush used, poured water down heat exchanger and caught remains into a container etc.

I was taking my time as it was the last job of the day and following the instructions off a laptop, it took me bloody 3 hours, OK it was a bit awkward and I'm sure I could do it in 2 in the future but I wish I had quoted £150 for it!

Nevermind, got another job off him for Thursday to make up for it and he said British Gas never did that in 7 years so I can service it every year now, obviously not the full works again for a few years.

Anyway, how long does it take you and how much do you charge if you don't mind saying? I'll have to find out how much Worcester charge and base it on that.

1.5 hours (i have serviced hundreds of the plastic mares)£75 labour plus gasket

I dont know how it took 3 hours??? They are very easy to strip down. I just charge a set fee of £60( plus parts if needed) for servicing a boiler, some are quick and some not quite so quick so it all balances itself out. If you quoted £150 to service a boiler, you probably wouldnt get the job.

cheers, I'll definitely speed up on them as I get more confidence doing it. I'll keep it to £110 for now, though Its not a good feeling to tell the customer they need to spend this money on it every few years if I fitted it.

hi mfgs, I am experienced with servicing boilers as been doing it 8 years and like said I normally charge £55 but I see this job as a bit more than a standard service.
All I can say about the time it took me was that I was taking my time being very careful as I have only done one other before this. I stuck to the price I quoted as per usual, better slow when you arn't sure, better than breaking an electrode or something.

i totally agree with you mike servicing a modern red gasket type worcester is much longer than a normal service if you fully strip it down and i have been servicing boilers for many years,they are not a very good design worcester did not give maintenance much thought on this boiler,the duotec 1 on the other hand can be fully stripped down and put back together in 30 mins because it is a better design altogether dont know what the new duotec/plastic neta tec disaster is like to service though

hi mfgs, I am experienced with servicing boilers as been doing it 8 years and like said I normally charge £55 but I see this job as a bit more than a standard service.
All I can say about the time it took me was that I was taking my time being very careful as I have only done one other before this. I stuck to the price I quoted as per usual, better slow when you arn't sure, better than breaking an electrode or something.

I agree it is a bit more involved than a standard service and you are right to be careful, but it certainly isnt a 3 hour £150 job in my eyes. But we all have different opinions.

no its not £150,they would ask you to leave in a very unpolite way round here pushing the boat at the 75 i charge but areas differ

I honestly feel that £110 is reasonable now for the full strip down, maybe less when I get quicker at it.
When I'm asked how much to service a Worcester Greenstar if it is more than a few years old and not serviced before I explain that it may need a thorough strip down and a new gasket at extra cost.
I've warned some of my customers this year that next year theirs will need the strip down which will cost extra so next year I don't suddenly spring it upon them that their usual £55 service is now £90 or £110.

I honestly feel that £110 is reasonable now for the full strip down, maybe less when I get quicker at it.
When I'm asked how much to service a Worcester Greenstar if it is more than a few years old and not serviced before I explain that it may need a thorough strip down and a new gasket at extra cost.
I've warned some of my customers this year that next year theirs will need the strip down which will cost extra so next year I don't suddenly spring it upon them that their usual £55 service is now £90 or £110.

if your getting that and feel its justifiable mike i am not knocking you just wish they would pay that here

yep I know you wern't knocking me mate, I'll aim to get them done quicker and will bring price down If I feel it is no longer justifiable. I'm sure the next one will be nearer half the time anyway, I wasn't in any rush and even had 2 brews during with customers who talked a lot.

why did you strip it full mate ? just asking as wb states unless your reading are out then it does not need to

The fan pressure was slightly low, the main reason I stripped it down was because it is 7 years old and never had it done so could've done with it and a new gasket perhaps most importantly.

On the other hand, I've stripped 2 down now for customers and cleaned all I could see out of the heat exchanger but it hasn't made much difference to the fan pressure. Anyone else find this? I do use the cleaning kit and pour water down heat exchanger and catch contents in container underneath condensate trap but tricky to do whilst the heat exchanger is still inside the boiler.
I'm from Southport, Merseyside by the way, I'll put the location on my profile now Steve.

ok i see well now you know how to do it and can offer you customers doing it, I personally do not touch them till reading is out of tolerance !
gas man had a how gallery op images how to strip them here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to how much do you charge for a Worcester Greenstar strip down? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hey guys in the know. I have paid for a heating and plumbing contract and had to pay my excess 3 times for the same thing still not fixed. The...
Replies
Views
We have recently moved into a property which has a Worcester Greenstar Highflow 440 Standalone Combi gas boiler. This appears to be a relatively...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have just noticed a damp patch around where my boiler flue exits through to outside wall along with a rusty colour around the collar of the...
Replies
Views
Just been to a nightmare of a job! Had to carry out a service on the 2009 British Gas 330 + (GC: 41-019-11) It's a Glow Worm boiler. The boiler...
Replies
Views
Hi Everyone, For those who like a long read but I could rally do with some advice. Might be a bit long this. For background. A...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock