Discuss How do you apply your flux? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Blimey Tamz those tins look older than me! Looks like great stuff tho. I'm getting some!

200+ posts in a thread about flux and I'm still finding it interesting.

Blimey Tamz those tins look older than me! Looks like great stuff tho. I'm getting some!

They are about 2-3 years old. Just been sitting in the shed so the tins are a bit rusty around the edges.
There is a small tin of yorkshire in the other van.
I only ever use it for top quality work when the price justifys it, where the joints need to be really neat. It takes too long to use cleaning fittings for everyday use.
No matter how good you are with self cleaning fluxes it is impossible to have complete control over how the solder will run and just when you don't want it you will get a streak of solder running down the pipe following the flux and you can't stop it.

They are about 2-3 years old. Just been sitting in the shed so the tins are a bit rusty around the edges.
There is a small tin of yorkshire in the other van.
I only ever use it for top quality work when the price justifys it, where the joints need to be really neat. It takes too long to use cleaning fittings for everyday use.
No matter how good you are with self cleaning fluxes it is impossible to have complete control over how the solder will run and just when you don't want it you will get a streak of solder running down the pipe following the flux and you can't stop it.
You've just proved there is so much more to this than meets the eye. I'd say you have shot yourself in the foot but I'm not that brave.:20:

I've never tried traditional flux but I'm going to have to give it a go now

I rub up every fitting and pipe end i solder, even straight out of the bag. Am I wasting my time if I'm using self cleaning flux? Maybe I should start using Yorkshire

I rub up every fitting and pipe end i solder, even straight out of the bag. Am I wasting my time if I'm using self cleaning flux? Maybe I should start using Yorkshire

Massively. You are costing yourself an hour a day at least on an install.
You don't need to clean anything with most modern fluxes but i still do if it is the really black old pipes. No need for steel wool or pads tho. A smeat of flux a quick heat with the bottle and wipe and it is shining like a shilling.

Use traditional and your joints will look much better.

Massively. You are costing yourself an hour a day at least on an install.
You don't need to clean anything with most modern fluxes but i still do if it is the really black old pipes. No need for steel wool or pads tho. A smeat of flux a quick heat with the bottle and wipe and it is shining like a shilling.

Use traditional and your joints will look much better.

Well blow me down. I'm not sure ill be able to kick the habit of cleaning though. Have to get the pipe spotless, get rid of all slice marks etc. it's compulsive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to How do you apply your flux? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, My current hot water system needs to be replaced. Anyone got any suggestions or can recommend any plumbers around Derrimut area that won't...
Replies
Views
The left rear floor corner is highest (the shower pan touches/sits on the floor), sloping down diagonally to the front right corner (lowest). The...
Replies
Views
Show us your fanciest radiators you've installed! We would love to see them! I love this Milano vertical radiator in the kitchen space. What...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock