Search the forum,

Discuss How do I increase pressure here? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Alex Moss

Hi there,

This is my first time posting and hope I'm posting in the correct category.

I have an apartment in Italy and control my water supply through a stop tap in the building. Next to it is what seems to be a pressure gauge. I have attached 2 photos to illustrate.

My shower pressure isn't strong at all and was wondering how I can improve the pressure to the shower. Is this something I can do myself? I have a combi boiler elsewhere to which the pressure gauge is at 1 and a bit.

Hope this is all the information you need. Thanks!

Attachments

• 2015-09-04 12.20.30.jpg
    2015-09-04 12.20.30.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 32
  • 2015-09-04 12.20.35.jpg
    2015-09-04 12.20.35.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 26
What type of shower do you have? The pressure shown on the combi is your heating

Alex , assuming the gauge is correct 6 bar of pressure is way above average, I am guessing its more flow you need , it usually is, the valve on the pic may have a filter on it that wants checking , but you flow is determined by the size of the pipe that supplys your property, only thing you can do is check the stop tap is fully open .

Thanks for this. The boiler (downstairs) powers the heating as well as the shower itself. The tap on the right in the first picture actually leaked only with a drip every 5 seconds until someone tightened it for me. Since then the amount of water coming out of the shower has decreased.

Sounds to me like the person who did the tightening doesn't realise that if they tighten the packing gland nut it will cause the valve to tighten as well. Make sure that the valve is fully open and check your flow rate by putting a 1 litre container under the shower hose (remove spray head) and timing how long it takes to fill. From this you can work out how many litres per sec/minute you are getting as a flow rate. Alter the valve and check again. This will determine if it's a problem with the valve of not

Not sure what type of shower it is sorry, just that the water is heated from the boiler beneath the room. If I loosen the pipe where he tightened it will this solve my problem? However, I'm at risk of it dripping again.

This might not solve your problem but it's worth a try:
Loosen the gland nut and back the valve wheel head off all the way. If this enables the shower to work you've found your fault and it's just a matter of stopping the dripping, which can be done by loosening the gland nut and then re-packing the gland, either that or replace the valve centre.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to How do I increase pressure here? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock