Search the forum,

Discuss How can we block off an unused external boiler flue? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

We had a boiler in an old shed adjacent to the house.
The flue is encased in a brick chimney stack that runs up the outside of the house.
Some years ago, the boiler was moved inside, but the old flue remains. It looks like a chimney but is open at the bottom and unsightly. I am not sure whether it is lined with asbestos. Either way, can it simply be blocked in or bricked over at the bottom to make it look better?

With a classic chimney youd cap the top with a slab and a gap for ventilation and brick up the bottom with a small vent to avoid damp issues (as above)

Reply to How can we block off an unused external boiler flue? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

J
We are buying a bungalow with an external oil boiler. We plan to build an extension, will we need to move the boiler or can it remain where it is meaning it would be then housed in the extension Thanks
Replies
Views
E
Hi all, Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere but I can't find an answer to my questions. I have a back boiler and gas fire which h has been serviced regularly over the years by different engineers with no issues. Last time , the guy wanted to condem it due to not being compliant with...
Replies
Views
I live on the 3rd floor of a 6-story block of flats. (26 flats in total). During the evening when all people are inside their flats and using their boilers to heat their flats, there is obviously lots of steam coming out of all the different Boiler Flue Vents. if I open my window or go outside...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have just noticed a damp patch around where my boiler flue exits through to outside wall along with a rusty colour around the collar of the flue bend. I’ve checked the external wall & there’s no water coming in from outside but the flue terminal also has a rusty colour. My regular boiler...
Replies
Views
Hello, bit of a noob question but would someone be able to help me to understand the pipes coming off our boiler. It's a Grant oil combi boiler, and where the pipes come in is in a room at the front of the house. I am about to box them in but I really wanted to understand what the various pipes...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock