Search the forum,

Discuss How can I figure out what's best for my house? in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

I live in a large 3 bed semi with a Potterton Profile 60e - so it's a G rated boiler.

I wish to improve the energy efficiency of the property over the next few years, and part of that is obviously upgrading the central heating system.

We have a tank in the bathroom which I want to move (to create space for a shower enclosure) so I guess I'm going to need a tank upgrade. I'm also going to need a new boiler and controls (like for like so hopefully not the stupid cost of quotes I was getting to install a combi).

So my plan looks something like:
  • 1: Loft insulation, new boiler and controls
  • 2: New tank (which I'll have to do later)

Does this make sense? Would retro-fitting a heat pump be an all rounder better and cheaper (long term) option? How can I actually figure out what's best? Are heat loss calcs the place to begin?

Insulation improvement and heat loss calcs are the way to go, the better you insulate the less you'll spend not matter what the system. Think about investing in other areas of the house you can further insulate besides the loft.

Building insulation is the way to go. Depending on structure you might even need to look at internal dry lining/insulation. Also look at controls: If you're replacing the boiler get a weather compensation option to lower the system temp on warmer days. I have a combi at home and when I've replaced rads I've oversized them as well so I can run the boiler at lower temp=condensing=better efficiency.

Yes a heat loss is a good way to asses savings from insulation and tripple glazing

Reply to How can I figure out what's best for my house? in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello, bit of a noob question but would someone be able to help me to understand the pipes coming off our boiler. It's a Grant oil combi boiler, and where the pipes come in is in a room at the front of the house. I am about to box them in but I really wanted to understand what the various pipes...
Replies
Views
We live in a 1980s four-bedroom detached house. The time has come for new central heating. The current system is a mild revision of the original heating installed when the house was built, and this revision was largely to replace a life-expired boiler: non-condensing fan flue boiler open...
Replies
Views
I've just moved into a house with an old Potterton Profile P60e (75% efficient). The hot water tank is currently taking up the space in the bathroom that would be perfect for a shower enclosure. So we have a choice, 1) Upgrade the boiler to a combi, rip out the tank and replace with shower...
Replies
Views
Hi, We moved into a new property yesterday and are a little baffled by the heating/water tank situation. The previous owners unhelpfully left any kind of instructions/manual and therefore trying to figure out ourselves. We have what looks like a boiler/water tank system (coming from a standard...
Replies
Views
Hi all I've been reading about the Drayton Wiser system and along the way I began to go down a rabbit hole learning about heating system optimisation and efficiency and i've come to the conclusion that the boiler in my property is way oversized for the requirements, The property is a 4 bed...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock