Currently reading:
how accurate is a flow cup ?

Discuss how accurate is a flow cup ? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnnyplumb

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
flow cups maybe convenient but are they accurate. can you read of say 9.8l or 11.5l and know for sure it is exactly 9.8l or 11.5l.

They'll never be that accurate but as far as I'm concerned they're near enough. If you want more accuracy time the time it takes to fill a litre jug and calculate it.

They are accurate enough for most cases.

To be more accurate you need to fill a container using a stopwatch then measure out (kitchen scales are easiest - 1,000ml of water is very close to 1kg. (exactly 1kg at sea level I think if I can remember correctly from my O level days)

exactly, thats my take on it, flow cups are sold mainly for their convenience not their accuracy. if you want more accuracy get a bucket & stopwatch. sometimes the old ways are still the best ways.

I think they are accurate enough for what we use them for. I only need to measure to the nearest half unit as an indication, if accuracy is needed then calculation is required.

what's the betting the flow cup/weir gauge was invented by someone called weir, who's made a fortune out of something that does'nt work. The guy that invented the bucket & stopwatch that's more accurate, has made hee haw. It's an unfair world.

why doesnt someone put it to the test then and do both tests and compare results ?

There all over the place in london and very handy to turn the water off quickly

yeah not really up in scotland i know you have them down england, we dont have them in domestic houses anyway

weir cups are fine, but cant understand why they cost as much as they do...... for a cup with a hole?

There all over the place in london and very handy to turn the water off quickly
i much prefer it where there is a water meter because it means that if the water needs turning off outside i don't have to get up to my shoulder in the toby hole to dig lots of crud out to get to the stopcock!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to how accurate is a flow cup ? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock