Search the forum,

Discuss Hot Water Cylinder Thermostat problem - I’ve been stupid. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have: -
Gas combined central heating and water heating
Drayton MA1 Mid Position Actuator
Drayton HTS3 Cylinder Thermostat
Solar iBoost+ that’s connected to 2 Immersion Heaters (top and bottom)

I wanted to replace the HTS3 with one that has a lower lowest setting so that the solar immersions heat my water to about 80 leaving the gas as backup at a lower temperature. I bought a Horstmann HCT1 and thought that I’d connected the 3 wires correctly but I obviously got it wrong because the water heating was on when it should have been off and vice versa.
I then decided to go back to the HTS3 and start again. That was when I realised that I had forgotten to write down which wire went to which terminal (what an idiot). I guessed at: -

Terminal 1 – Brown
Terminal 2 – Blue
Terminal C – Black

What I have now is: -

When the Water Heating control is OFF - Terminal 2 is LIVE and 1 and C are NOT LIVE

When the Water Heating Control is ON and the Thermostat Temperature is set to 50 – Terminal 2 is NOT LIVE and both Terminal C and Terminal 1 are LIVE

When the Water Heating Control is ON and the Thermostat Temperature is set to 80 – Terminal 2 is NOT LIVE and both Terminal C and Terminal 1 are LIVE

Is this correct? It’s difficult for me to tell because Solar has used the Immersion Heaters to heat the water to about 80.

Please can anyone help me?

Unfortunately colours don't mean much on a stat cable.

You will need to find the junction box for the heating (it will probably be near the motorised valve) and have a look at what colour wires connect to what.

The wire that connects to the orange of the motorised valve should go to 1 on the stat
The wire that connects to the grey of the motorised valve should go to 2 on the stat
The remaining wire goes to C.

Take the stat off the tank while you try turning it up and down and the heat won't affect its switching

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Hot Water Cylinder Thermostat problem - I’ve been stupid. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

After some advice, i have recently had solar panels fitted and have an Eddi which uses the energy we generate to heat the cylinder using the immersion heater. Just wondering if there are any devices that can circulate the hot water in the cylinder so the immersion heater heats all the water...
Replies
Views
Hi, I am trying to link a Hive heating & hot water dual channel receiver to an old Vaillant THERMOcompact VU GB 242/1 E system boiler. It has an internal programmer that is similar to a time switch 120 (plug in seven day programmer) This programmer is connect to a terminal strip using 345 (three...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Have a sytem boiler with unvented cylinder with 2 heating zones plus hot water in a house we moved into recently. To start with we were always amazed at the water pressure so on the odd occasion that the water was only luke warm it was easily forgiven, but over time we have come to realise that...
Replies
Views
Last May had a new Greenstar 4000 boiler fitted and only recently started using the heating. Once the set room temperature is reached the boiler modulates (presumably) and stays running for very long periods (many hours) but the circulating water is only luke warm (about 35 degrees) Any heating...
Replies
Views
I live in an apartment with a cold water tank. The cold water tank feeds the cold water tap in the sink and the bath. Recently, I refurbished my bathroom, and according to the plumber who fitted the new taps, high-pressure taps were fitted. Consequently, the water from taps is of a low volume...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock