Search the forum,

Discuss Hot water cold after weekend away in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi all, new to this forum and looking for a bit of advice please.

Have been noticing recently some odd behaviour with our hot water system. If we go away for the weekend, leave Friday afternoon and back Sunday night, the hotwater is lukewarm at best up our return Sunday evening. I then need to boost the HW for an hour to get the water nice and hot again.

I have Tado smart controls installed and have triple checked there is no "home/away" geofencing triggering the the HW to turn off so the normal schedule (off/on for an hour in AM and PM each day) is still set and working while we're away. Also, the rads were working just fine when we got home last night so it's as if no HW use over the weekend seems to trigger this condition.

Boiler is Bosch Greenstar 4000 system boiler fitted last year. Hotwater cylinder approx 18 years old. Any insights or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Mark

Do any of your hot-water pipes run under the ground floor?
Think about how the hot-water system 'knows' you're away: do you switch off the central heating?

Last edited:
Do any of your hot-water pipes run under the ground floor?
Think about how the hot-water system 'knows' you're away: do you switch off the central heating?
Thanks John. No pipes running under the ground floor. Central heating is not switched off when we go away for the weekend, and the house was warm from the CH operating when we got home - just the HW that was lukewarm/bordering on cold. This is what I cant figure out - I wonder if the Tado system is showing "home/away" (geofencing) as being disabled, but its actually not (at the backend somewhere) and this might be what is causing the HW to turn off.... otherwise I'm at a complete loss!

the Tado system
I'm not familiar with the Tado system, but if it incorporates some logic such as
If [no hot water demand for 24 hours], Then [switch off water heating], it could be an "undocumented feature" . Has it happened more than once, i.e consistent pattern?

Just Google this and found someone had the opposite problem.
Tado set to away mode, but Hot water still coming on while they were away.

The suggested problem was that Geolocation was set Off in the water time blocks? but should be On in all time blocks.
I don't have Tado, but is this issue the opposite, Geofencing is On in one or more of the time blocks in the weekend period, not just in the On time block?

Thanks John. Yeah, has happened before, and this weekend just gone was the 3rd time it's occurred. I think you're onto something regarding a Tado "undocumented feature" - I think they have a few of them....Will investigate this angle further.

Just Google this and found someone had the opposite problem.
Tado set to away mode, but Hot water still coming on while they were away.

The suggested problem was that Geolocation was set Off in the water time blocks? but should be On in all time blocks.
I don't have Tado, but is this issue the opposite, Geofencing is On in one or more of the time blocks in the weekend period, not just in the On time block?
Thanks...Will look into this at the same time!

As an experiment could you go away for weekend but leave your phone at home- this would give the lack of use of system but retain geofencing.
I realise this is a big ask these days !

Reply to Hot water cold after weekend away in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello, I am seeking some advice, I have a POTTERTON PROMAX 28 COMBI Boiler and I noticed yesterday that the water around the house is no longer warming up. The heat exchanger has been changed 6 months ago, so I do not believe it is that. Does anyone have any ideas on what it could be? Thanks
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock