Search the forum,

Discuss hot up not down? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

REDSAW

just had a customer of mine text me,

she says you can get hot water upstairs in the bathroom but not downstairs even after running the tap for a long while.
there was blockage issues on the heating system that i have rectified but this one is new on me or covered in cob-webs somewhere!!

anyone?

Jobs like this I want to see with my own eyes, custs can't always be relied on for correct description of faults.

could be air lock, I am doing job at moment and every time I have drained it down ( on 3rd bathroom) the downstairs gets air locked, upstairs works fine.

I hold hand over mixer tap and open hot and cold for 60 seconds (bizarre as wont work if done for less then 60 seconds) and all works fine

That sounds v strange CANT be airlock if theres water at hot side of tap, daft question but theres not a blending valve at the outlet cos cant think how that could happen. is it just the kitchen or all downstairs.Utiltys etc .?

Last edited by a moderator:
I would say it could be air lock if somebody has put a pipe up and back down to downstairs causing air locks in pipework!

its only a 2 up 2 down and it will be the kitchen tap.

just thinking if there is water flowing then that does not necessarily mean it is the hot water running!. it could be the mixer tap crossing with an air lock to hot, but thats a daft scenario imo?.

just remembered, she said no hot water without the heating on so theres a valve issue.

I fitted a mixer tap once and a day later they said there was no hot water downstairs found when I turned the shower valve I got hot water

i did a chemical flush on the heating system after a couple of sluggish micro bore fed rads.

i am also wondering if its passive heat from the rad flow pipes she is getting and that the 3 port is knacked in hw/heat mode

Not sure but if its passive she should get hot water all over not just upstairs. definatly sounds dhw side not primarys. ask her to stick the immersion heater on if the downstairs waters still cold youve got an idea about taps nrvalves etc..

no immersion heater!,
well there was an ecconomy 7 but that has been id as there is no earthing to the meter by bg..

bloody BG. you'll have to touch the primarys whilst the ch is is on to eliminate heat creep, the work you did wont have any effect on that scenario. Id consentrate on the tap, try undoing the hot supply to it into a bucket before the nrv ( there should be one). just a matter of trying all sorts im afraid...:wink5:

Ay up redsaw, what was the outcome (id like to know for future reference)..:)

the outcome is............i forgot all about the customer..until now!!!

how bad am i. better to call her in the morning.lol

still didnt get to call her!.

may be that i know she dont have any money yet!!lol

i told her on my last visit that the 3 way sticks and to get the guy back who fitted it 2 months ago.
whats throwing me is she said thanks for fixing it as all works fine?,

bet any money its that knacked!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to hot up not down? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

M
Hi, I woke up this morning with cold water (mains) from downstairs tap but no hot water from downstairs tap, and no water at all from all the...
Replies
Views
Mike Young
M
I recently installed new hot and cold feeds to a new downstairs cloakroom. After refilling the system the hot taps were all dribbling, spluttering...
Replies
Views
PLUMBING ADVICE NEEDED Combi boiler in our house, downstairs water seems to be piping hot. Upstairs basin, bath and shower only ever seems to...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have 3 port value for HW & CH. Loft extension added many years ago so they added a T to go upstairs, only 2 rads up but 11 downstairs...
Replies
Views
Hello All, I wonder if you can help me? I have intermittent hot water low flow from all taps in my 4 bedroom house upstairs and downstairs. I...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock