Discuss Hot feed pipe but cold return. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

slittle999

Firstly hello to the forum, I am a DIYer so I will apologise for that first!

I will start from the beginning!

I recently done some work on my bathroom, when I removed the bath panel I found the hot water coil feed and return running around the bath behind the panel. In my haste to get on, I yanked the bath to hard and an elbow on the coil feed parted resulting in much water everywhere! I patched that up with a couple of pushfits and got on.

A couple of days later the heating pump packed up (dribbling water out and into the electrics), I have a Boulter Bonus oil fired boiler with two pumps one for heating circuit and one for the indirect hot water circuit. I assume the two circuits join as the system is filled from the F/E tank which runs thro the hot water coil. I just don't know where this join is and how it is configured. The house is very long and thin (25m long but only one room wide), the boiler is at ground level at one end of the house, with the hot water cylinder in the middle of the house on the first floor. There are 13 rads on the heating circuit.

I bought a cheap pump and fitted it, all appeared to be fine. I drained the system to remove a rad in the bathroom which is being altered, changed the pipework to reposition the rad on another wall in the bathroom, but this will go back on at a later date as I have some decorating to do first. Refilled the system and since then I have had problems with the rads heating up. Thought that maybe the cheap pump was the problem so swapped it with the Wilo which was on the hot water circuit, didn't make any difference.

Drained down and refilled several times, at this point I must say the system is dirty, I removed a rad in the sitting room as this is where I drained the system and flushed it thro with a hose. It was full of black oily sludge. This has made a little difference as I am able to get a little bit of heat to some of the rads, but the return pipe is cold/lukewarm.

Have I got a stubborn airlock or is the circuit blocked somewhere. It doesn't matter how careful I am when I refill it keeps up with this problem. Excuse my ignorance here, I have a drain point at the heating return at the boiler this is the lowest part of the system if I attached a hose and flushed the system thro with mains pressure would this force the airlock out of the F/E tank. I appreciate what ever I put in will come out of the overflow but is there anything wrong with trying this?

I cant find any motorized valves, I assume as there are two separate pumps for heating and hot water I don't need motorized valves???

HELP!!

Yes you can backfill through the drain off. I cap off the vent temporary on the header tank. (Don't fire the heating with the cap on take it off immoderately after) Try and get a friend to keep an eye on the header tank while you backfill/ vent the rfs at the same time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Hot feed pipe but cold return. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I have a 2 pump hot water tank (Flomax 180L fitted in '94) in airing cupboard system with an Ideal classic boiler (downstairs next to an external...
Replies
Views
Hi there, All was good until one day the hot water suddenly started running quite a lot cooler. Putting my hand on the output at the boiler it's...
Replies
Views
Hello everyone, I'm facing a rather complex situation and I need your expert advice. My neighbor and I share a boiler for hot water, and we have...
Replies
Views
I recently installed new hot and cold feeds to a new downstairs cloakroom. After refilling the system the hot taps were all dribbling, spluttering...
Replies
Views
The Water Board have just replaced the main water supply to our property. We have a ground floor combi boiler. The central heating system for the...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock