Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss Honest advice in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Sean McD

Good evening all,

I'm due to leave the military in the next 2 years and one of the avenues I've been exploring is that of gas engineer. Now, I've chatted on other forums where my wish to enter the trade was greeted with mixed views. I know I will be a 48 year old just entering an industry where experience counts - most jobs I've looked at require minimum of 2 years experience in given field. So, my question is, is this career path worth perusing, or would I be doing a course which will serve me no good owing to lack of industry experience. Honest thoughts please.

I am ex forces, but only started when I was in my early 40s, doing property renovations first for myself then attending college one day a week for 2 years with a year off then another 2 years to finally get my nvq 2 n3 plus city n guilds. along with gas quals. I dont believe you cqan make it on plumbing alone self employed from scratch, but some do. However if you have a pension to rely on, starting off on your own is easier, develop your experience and work on from there. Notice I havent mention getting employed as I dont believe that will ever happen for you. getting enough experience to hit the gas side is your next barrier, then getting the experience to be able to repair things is the next barrier.

So I wont say you cant do it, but there are a lot of others out there willing to undercut you who already have the knowledge. You need a niche to be able to make it work, mine has been going for oil and only using the gas and plumbing to help earn a living not be the only means of income, it isnt cheap to set up on your own either, a decent van, tools spares dont come cheap. I expect I now have around £20-30K plus in van n kit alone just sitting out there.

Lastly, it isnt a job to be taken on likely, at 48 the old body is wearing out, there are loads of us out there on knackered knees or metal ones, I am really lucking, I also have a shattered wrist to cope with so whole house installs and bathrooms are a thing of the past (except for offspring!!!)

So not saying you cant do it, but whether it is worth doing, your choice at the end of the day, just be wary of throwing money at 16 week training courses promising the earth.

Many thanks for the honesty. I'm looking at the property maintenance side of the house currently, as I feel I might fair better in that market. Having the pension means I don't need to be totally reliant on the job, but after 30 years of doing my job, I really fancy doing something that I enjoy - done some property renovations and other tasks for friends. Thank you again for your honesty.

Have you thought about any other trades ? always seem to be a shortage of Tilers and less expensive to start up, Doing gas at 48 ? your going to be in your mid 50s B4 you have any sort of experience, and if your looking at the property maintenance side you will be coming across lots of old systems that only some of the older plumbers understand and they are all dieing off, Big shortage at the moment for HGV drivers, again not so expensive to get into, other factor to take account of is where you will be living, where I am we are over run with plumbers all fighting for jobs and not earning a great deal, New housing is mainly on hold so almost every one is on maintenance/re-ferb work so prices are low, Doing jobs or tasks for friends is a whole different ball game, once on the outside every one is out to have you over and its very easy to get caught out.

Firstly thanks for doing the job you've been doing for 30 years. Hats off to you and respect due.

I'd say to start out in this trade with little or no experience is hard enough. To do it at 48 and expect to find employment would be almost impossible. But I wish you all the luck in the world and hope things work out in the future whatever you decide to do.

Some real good advice in the above threads . The industry in general is flooded with plumbers / gas engineers despite what the trade magazines, papers and government tell you. Still can be an enjoyable job but making a decent living at times can be challenging, even with loads of expierience but if your intending to create your own work with your own property to do up then you've half a chance - you having a pension is of major benefit to you but there are many in the same position who have helped to reduce prices to probably all time lows. I like the above wish you all the best in whichever venture you may tackle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Honest advice in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Another newbie in the forums. I’m a 33 year old and after having worked in the Graphic/Web Design industry for around 8 years, I worked a few...
Replies
Views
Hi, Hoping some of you folks can steer me in the right direction. I have been self employed for the last 15years supplying services to the...
Replies
Views
Hi, need your honest views if you would be so kind. I’m 48 and work for the NHS (office based) and earn 44k a year. Ive been do fustrated and fed...
Replies
Views
Hi guys. I've been running an UFH installation/ repair business for 7 years now and one of my main frustrations is finding the parts for the UFH...
Replies
Views
Hi there, Big gas noob here. We got a gas cooker installed a few days ago, and the gas cooker is now sitting quite far away from the wall (3cm...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock