Search the forum,

Discuss Hive on Potterton Boiler in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi all.

So I have just moved into a new house with a Potterton boiler in it. Great big thing!! lol.

I want to fit a Hive to it but it obviously doesn't have a separate standard control box to just switch over like my last one owing to the internal timer etc.

Inside the main unit is the following strip... (see photo)

Can anyone point me in the right direction of what wires will go to what in the hive box? I'll run a cable back out of the boiler and mount it on the wall.

Thanks in advance guys and girls. :)
tempImageyGCkVI.png
Screenshot 2023-07-27 at 12.46.26.png

Right hand side yellow link wire ch r to 4 ch L to L neutral and earth left hand side to there corespondening neutral and earth etc

Need to leave the internal timer on hand / constant

Right hand side yellow link wire ch r to 4 ch L to L neutral and earth left hand side to there corespondening neutral and earth etc

Need to leave the internal timer on hand / constant
Thank you. And I assume for the hot water will be the same: HW(R) ---> 3NO ?

When you say CH(L) to L, do you mean on the Boiler or the Hive? I haven't put a multimeter on it yet but assumed that the boiler CH(L) and HW(L) would be a switched live from the internal timer.

One last thing, would I be ok running the permanent Live and Neutral to the Hive unit from that Boiler rail in the picture? Or would you suggest a separate supply?

Thanks again,

you want to leave the hw on all the time with a pro max

ChL boiler side live on the hive

As above as that’s your live

you want to leave the hw on all the time with a pro max

ChL boiler side live on the hive

As above as that’s your live
Thanks agin for this. I'm so sorry, I've never had a boiler like this before. If you don't mind, why exactly do I want to have the HW on all the time? At the moment (according the old owner) its timed to come on once a day in the morning and holds it's heat all day. I just assumed I could use the Hive to boost it IF needed later on in the day.

You could do that and you would wire it in like the heating side but I would leave it on all day tbh

Hi. Thanks for your reply. No it's definitely a conventional boiler with a tank underneath and an expansion vessel at the top. However, will the internal timer on the boiler have any relevance if I remove the bridges from that rail and wire it to the Hive? I would have thought that the integral timer would call for heat, but it would be going to an empty choccy block no?

So am I right in thinking that it works as per my picture below? I like to understand how it works.

Also, if I want to connect the hot water to it, also, do I need to run the HW(L) to the Hive or will the constant live from the CH(L) suffice? I assume they're both constant lives from the same source.

IMG_1535.jpeg
IMG_1536.jpeg

Might be of interest, - note post #7 in the thread below

My (not researched thoroughly so read the above) understanding is that you wire the Hive L and N to the boiler supply L and N, and then the Hive programming outputs supply mains L (eg from terminal 4 to CHr etc.)

Last edited:
5 core or two 3 cores 0.75 or 1mm2 is fine

Might be of interest, - note post #7 in the thread below

My (not researched thoroughly so read the above) understanding is that you wire the Hive L and N to the boiler supply L and N, and then the Hive programming outputs supply mains L (eg from terminal 4 to CHr etc.)
Absolutely amazing. So so helpful and well laid out answer. Thank you. I did search at the beginning but definately didn't find this post. Perfect thank you.

Just need to confirm if 1mm flex would be ok for the job?

5 core or two 3 cores 0.75 or 1mm2 is fine
Perfect. Thank you.

Definitely not questioning you but where does the fifth come in?
Constant live
Constant neutral
Switched CH live
switched HW live
?? Earth? But does it need an earth as the hive box only has a 'tether' and is not earthing it?

It's only that I have some 4 core at home, if not I'll go out and get some 5.

You need an earth at each appliance hence the earth point even though it’s a class 2 fitting eg all plastic exterior

Reply to Hive on Potterton Boiler in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock