Discuss High water consumption in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rach, to be honest this isn't something you're going to get to the bottom of until term end and the building is temporarily empty.

I had something similar years ago. Turned out to be a student that used to leave her tap on because she thought it improved the humidity....

Reminds me of overseas nurse who complained heating not working in middle of summer heatwave. Turned out she required the heating to make yogurt.

So just think if my building is water tight and I believe it is. What is it I have missed. I know this building really well and I am completely baffled.

I would start by isolating different areas and have somone reading the meter.

For a building of that size I would have thought the meter would have a pulse output.
This can be monitored constantly and show when most usage occurs.

eg ; Crucible Technologies - Home

Failing that,

Check the meter every hour through a 24hr period.

Plus,
Does each riser have it's own isolation valve?

If so, someone watch the meter, someone turn off each riser 1 at a time.
The flow through the meter will disappear when the guilty riser is found.
It won't affect the users if you turn the riser off and then straight back on.
Maybe do it early, before 10 am before the students get up !!

Then track down users on the guilty riser.
If it's spread over all risers, you must have normal consumption and the other building has extremely low consumption.

PS beaten to some of it by Chalked

Is it possible there is a irrigation system you are not aware of? Or more simply an outside tap perhaps fed underground?
Is there a fire extinguisher system?
If possible isolate each riser to find the one using this water. If no isolation valves, fit some. Then isolate in turn in order to narrow down your search.
I have had an overflow pipe leaking into the cavity, impossible to detect until I checked every single overflow visually.
Is there a pipe running in a cavity somewhere? I know there shouldn't be but I am never suprised by builders!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to High water consumption in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello everyone, I'm facing a rather complex situation and I need your expert advice. My neighbor and I share a boiler for hot water, and we have...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, I moved into a new build three bedroom, two bathroom bungalow about 2.5 years ago. Ever since we moved in there has been an issue...
Replies
Views
Not exactly a plumbing problem but here goes. I have known for a couple of years there was a water leak somewhere between the water meter, on our...
Replies
Views
Some advice please about a really worrying problem. I live in a terraced 2 bed room house. 10 days ago the gas combi boiler stopped heating the...
Replies
Views
Hi there, thanks for your time to look at this record long post!! I work on the operational management side or a small building contracting firm...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock