Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Checkout our Plumbers Insurance area - heavily discounted Public Liability Insurance and Van Insurance specifically designed for plumbers.

Discuss High water bills __________ in the Plumbing Forum area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

Tags:
  1. Loubanez

Loubanez Member

Not sure if this is in the right section or even the right website but just wanted to query water meters and bills before I ring UU tomorrow, just had are bi-annual water bill and are monthly bill is shooting from £33 to £72 a month, to me this seems massively over what I would expect to pay, it's only me and my girlfriend living at the property, on average about 7-10 baths a week, no showers. Dishwasher and washing machine about 3 times each a week. No garden for watering plants. It estimates that we use about 560l of water a day.
    Could there be a faulty meter? Or a leak between the meter outside and my internal stop cock? I'm certain there are no leaks within the property. Really not happy.
    Thanks

2. Riley

Riley S. Mod Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

Turn off your internal stopcock and see if the water meter continues to increase. Then start checking things like toilets overflows and similar if not

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Chuck

Chuck Well-Known Member

Follow Riley's advice and, if you haven't done so already, use this calculator:

Water Meter Calculator | Consumer Council for Water

to estimate the amount you can expect to use. From your description, I suspect you have a leak somewhere. A relatively small leak can waste quite a surprisingly large amount of water by running 24/7.

4. Loubanez

Loubanez Member

Thanks for advice I'll do both tomrrow, so do.you agree it seems to high?

5. Loubanez

Loubanez Member

Something worth mentioning is at the rear of the property they're used to be a toilet fed from an old lead pipe which disappears into a concrete floor, the toilet was removed an the pipe capped off, upon removing the toilet we discovered that my stop cock in the road didn't isolate this supply, which has lead me to think "where is this water coming from? and who is paying for it? Are any of my neighbours paying for this and possibly vice versa?

6. Chuck

Chuck Well-Known Member

Yes. My household consumption is a bit more than double what you describe and my bill is IIRC around £70 per month from SW Water who are amongst the most expensive in the country AFAIK.

7. king of pipes

king of pipes Trusted Plumber GSR

Follow rileys advice you must have a small leak somewhere. Kop

8. Rob Foster

Rob Foster Top Contributor!!

Per person its rarely more than 1 ton per week which is about £2.40 supplied and taken away.
    Homes without carpet rats or wrinklies or gardens or kidney dialysis units or teenagers much less. Rob Foster aka centralheatking

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. Loubanez

Loubanez Member

Almost certain I don't have a leak as I re did all the hot and cold pipework past my incoming stop cock and all the plumbing joints are surface mounted so I could access them for if I ever got any leaks. Thinking of getting my own meter and fitting it within my property and comparing the two readings?

10. Riley

Riley S. Mod Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

There’s no need
    Test 1 - turn off your internal stopcock and check reading on meter in the evening then the following morning if it’s changed then there’s a leak on the supply pipe from the boundary
    Test 2 - leave your internal stopcock open and take a measurement in the evening then the following morning if there’s any change then you have an internal leak past your internal stop cock. It doesn’t have to be as severe as a leaking pipe, a toilet dripping constantly and overflowing into itself, albeit gradually, still mounts up very quickly.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Loubanez

Loubanez Member

Thanks I'll try this tonight and report back

• Like Like x 1
  12. Chuck

Chuck Well-Known Member

Also, check that the readings and meter number on your bills match your own meter and are 'actual' not 'estimated'. It's not unknown for readers to misread meters or misidentify the house.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Loubanez

Loubanez Member

The readings seem accurate on November 16th a reading of 721m was taken when I checked yesterday it's already at 754.

14. Rob Foster

Rob Foster Top Contributor!!

so thats about 30m3 over 2 months basically ? give or take
    ...Rob Foster

15. Loubanez

Loubanez Member

Yes, can't see how I'm using that much