Search the forum,

Discuss Hi everyone-total novice needs help! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

j00lz

Hi all, I'm a total DIY plumbing novice. Here's hoping you can help with this problem:
I have a Sanitan Edwardian style pillar tap in my bathroom basin which has become loose from the spout upwards:The style of the tap is such that there is a joint above its base.Upwards from this joint is the rest of the tap, including the spout. It is this joint which has become loose. So, when turning the tap on or off, the spout swings about an eighth of a turn. The base remains tightly fixed to the basin. I contacted the manufacturer, who informed me that the range was no longer made (it was new six years ago), and that the "lifetime" guarantee does not apply as it is due to "wear and tear"! I've trawled the net hoping to find one, with no luck. The only thing they could suggest was trying to tighten the nut situated above the spout of the tap. I tried this, but it is absolutely tight.
Is there any way that the joint can be fixed tight? If not, does anyone out there know where I might be able to get a replacement(it's the hot tap)? Otherwise, it would be a case of replacing all of the bathroom fittings so that they match. Arrrgh!!!

Welcome to Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice | Plumbers Forums | A forum for plumbers advice in the UK!

Hi j00lz and welcome to UKPlumbersForums.co.uk!

Hi PST,

Please see attached

Attachments

• IMG_0886.jpg
    IMG_0886.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_0884.jpg
    IMG_0884.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 15
Turn off the water supply and take the entire tap off the basin, then try undoing it further to see how its put together. Reassemble.

I doubt there's anything broken - I expect something just needs tightening. There's not much to go wrong with those sort of taps other than the cartridges which will be the same as other models. Take it off to get a better look.

Thanks everyone for your replies. Was kinda hoping that someone out there would have had a similar experience, and be able to advise. I'm very wary of removing the tap, as knowing my ham-fisted skills(!) I'd be in a right pickle trying to put it back! I'm also wary of damaging the tap further by removing it, and thus not being able replace it. Looks like it's inevitable that I'll have to bite the bullet...will post my experiences when I've plucked up the courage to have a go...which may be some time! Cheers all!

"lifetime" guarantee does not apply as it is due to "wear and tear"!
jokers....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Hi everyone-total novice needs help! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two hole mixer but the cold water pressure is high mains fed and the hot is low pressure immersion tank fed. I've been trying to find info on what I...
Replies
Views
I have attached an image of the brass body within a tap. Having replaced a cartridge which has cured a leaking tap, I can see that there is a small leak from the brass body which can be unscrewed. Is there a seal behind the body? Thanks.
Replies
Views
Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to run the water line underneath. There are existing drain (and who knows what) pipes running along the same wall so I'm nervous about digging too far...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold then would get hot water most of the time. Changing the flow cartridge about 2 years ago (when I moved in) solved this problem enough to suffer it as...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock