Discuss Help... sewer smells from cloakroom in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

charlotte

Someone please help me, we have a sewer smell coming from our downstairs cloakroom that consisits of a toilet and basin, its a constant smell and is worse first thing in the morning as the door is closed all night. Ive had a plumber out who said he has no idea what it is, and a builder has changed the toilet outlet pipes incase it was a problem with the seal but it still smells, ive checked the u bend and it still has water in, ive tried bleaching the sink overnight but made no difference.....what else could it be ? its driving me mad now.....pleeeeeaaaase help !!!

just cos the basin has water in the trap doesnt mean its sealed. U need to flush the wc and check that the water level in the basin trap isnt reduced and letting the smell back in. it could also be caused by wicking in the trap draining the water out, suction from the other utilities emptying and other factors. do you have a drain outside the loo window which is allowing a smell back in. have an experienced plumber investigate if you cant find the cause

Is there a pipe boxing near the toilet? You may have an air admittance valve (Durgo) within the boxing which is not sealing properly

Or your Pan connector may have a small air gap seen that more than a couple of times.

Is there an anti-vac trap on the handbasin , i have changed ordinary traps to these and cured the problem .

I have tried flushing the toilet (and the up stairs toilet directly above) and checking the basin trap, its seemd fine, and nothing but water in it. There is a man hole just outside but the window and trickle vents on the window are always closed.

There is no boxing as the toilet is plumbed straight down throught the floor, all of which has been disconnected and re done to see if it was not sealed right by a builder.And the sink pipe go straight down to the flour and have had the seal checked and is fine. There is no anti-vac trap on the basin though, would this make a difference if the trap seems fine, i will try it just incase as its driving me mad now :(

Thanks all

Hi Charlotte,

Did you solve the problem, its just I'm having exactly the same issues as you!!!

Thanks

Luke

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Help... sewer smells from cloakroom in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock