Search the forum,

Discuss Help needed to understand the purpose of another pipe and valve for expansion tank in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

papaya

Evening guys,

I'm slowly learning how my central heating system works and I would like to ask for your help to understand the purpose of the pipe and valve used with my expansion tank as I can't see the point there :disappointed:

P1060680.JPG
I understand that the white pipe (bended) is overflow and the one with green insulation is the cold feed to the F+E and the other high paper clip type pipe is the expansion pipe for extra protection as all water through it will eventually drop back to the tank BUT I don't seem to understand the one on the right with the valve (circled).

P1060683.JPG

The reason is that this valve controls the water from expansion tank to flow with the hot water from the left through the heater pump. If I turn it off, just the hot water from left will come through to the pump but if I turn it on, it will mix with the hot water comes from left and results in only cold water come through the pump. So what's the purpose of that and should I leave it on or off? I know it sounds stupid but I can't figure out why...

In addition, I would also like to know how could I check if the copper coil in my water cylinder has pinholes?

Many thanks! :blush5:

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Help needed to understand the purpose of another pipe and valve for expansion tan

The valve is on the cold feed to ur heating, leave it open as expanding water uses it. Why do you think the coil has pin holes ??

Re: Help needed to understand the purpose of another pipe and valve for expansion tan

In addition, I would also like to know how could I check if the copper coil in my water cylinder has pinholes?

If your copper coil had pinholes the f&e tank would be constantly overflowing as the level in the 2 tanks try to equalise

Whyme, many thanks for your quick reply.

For the pinholes, it is because my overflow is always dripping when the boiler is not on and I had discoloured hot water. I thought it was a coincidence as the discoloured water just happened after Wessex water did some work but when I called a plumber in to change our faulty motorised valve, he told me there are pinholes in the coil. The reason is that when he disconnected primary flow to replace the 3 port valve, there was water dripping from it and I could hear some hissing.

Any suggestions?

Thanks again!

ecowarm, thanks but mine stops when the boiler is working - either heating or hot water or both.

It is a NO---NO .. to have a valve where you have!!!

Dodgy DIYer or plumber ALERT!!! :) :50:

I agree. It's actually illegal under the water regs (of all things) to have any sort of isolating or service valve on the outlet of an F&E tank in a domestic dwelling.

It is a NO---NO .. to have a valve where you have!!!

Dodgy DIYer or plumber ALERT!!! :) :50:

Thanks to clarify this but what's the purpose to have one then if this is not a good idea? I'm just trying to understand it.

This is the cold feed to the heating system. The pipe needs to be there but not the valve.

I agree. It's actually illegal under the water regs (of all things) to have any sort of isolating or service valve on the outlet of an F&E tank in a domestic dwelling.

I know the previous owner of my flat is a builder and I'm not sure whether he did that or not... :-(

I know the previous owner of my flat is a builder and I'm not sure whether he did that or not... :-(

I've seen plenty fitted by people who should know better.

Thanks to clarify this but what's the purpose to have one then if this is not a good idea? I'm just trying to understand it.

It's a 'lazy man's' way of not having to drain off the bucket of water in the header tank!! BUT can cause all sorts of grief if inadvertently closed and left that way!! It also closes off the means of accomodating system water expansion so therfore the open vent pipe has to take over its roll!!

So does it mean the cold feed is used in conjunction with TRVs of radiators to control temperature?

It's a 'lazy man's' way of not having to drain off the bucket of water in the header tank!! BUT can cause all sorts of grief if inadvertently closed and left that way!! It also closes off the means of accomodating system water expansion so therfore the open vent pipe has to take over its roll!!
It sounds scary but thanks for explaining this!

So does it mean the cold feed is used in conjunction with TRVs of radiators to control temperature?

What's your concern papaya?

Your pictures show a close coupled feed and vent and a concern regards the pump getting cold water drawn through it!! The set up is asking for trouble with the potential for ingress of 'fresh' water, it being 'close coupled' ...

What's your concern though? TRV's have nothing to do with the header tank!

I was trying to figure out why my radiators are cold when the CH is on as when I touched microbores connected to primary flow, they were cold. I traced all pipes up to my loft and eventually discovered that, so I thought it could be a problem as hot water mixes up with cold water. So like you said, regarding the water ingress, what will be the best solution then? Sorry my knowledge of plumbing is poor.

I was trying to figure out why my radiators are cold when the CH is on as when I touched microbores connected to primary flow, they were cold. I traced all pipes up to my loft and eventually discovered that, so I thought it could be a problem as hot water mixes up with cold water. So like you said, regarding the water ingress, what will be the best solution then? Sorry my knowledge of plumbing is poor.

I don't think the person who installed that system knew much either!

pipe is cold feed to central heating system if you don't think you need it try filling your heating system after a rad swap. also its in the wrong place to close to the pump and should be tee'd in from underneath

Doesn't have to be teed in from underneath (in fact looping underneath means there is more likelihood of the cold feed blocking) and no issue with the proximity to the pump. There may be issues with the open vent as I can't see exactly where it is connected and it has been raised very high, presumably to resolve a pumping over issue. I'm assuming that the pump is pumping left to right in the picture.

i would check out the cold feed best practice guide, i was always taught that by feeding the heating system from underneath that it would have less chance of drawing air from the f&e tank also less chance of dragging air into the system when filling do you have any evidence of this changing since 1986 i would really like to know if it has but you are correct about the positioning of the pipe.

Last edited:

Doesn't have to be teed in from underneath (in fact looping underneath means there is more likelihood of the cold feed blocking) and no issue with the proximity to the pump. There may be issues with the open vent as I can't see exactly where it is connected and it has been raised very high, presumably to resolve a pumping over issue. I'm assuming that the pump is pumping left to right in the picture.

Mike, you are right the pump is pumping left to right as this can be identified by touching the pipe when the valve is open as cold water will go thru from left to right.

With the limited knowledge you have I'd advise you get someone in :) However in the mean time, did all your radiators go off at the same time or was it a gradual reduction? What sort of boiler do you have? Room thermostat fitted? Diverter valve fitted?

Realy need to know a bit more about your system design to give you a better idea of what the possible issues may be IMO

With the limited knowledge you have I'd advise you get someone in :) However in the mean time, did all your radiators go off at the same time or was it a gradual reduction? What sort of boiler do you have? Room thermostat fitted? Diverter valve fitted?

Realy need to know a bit more about your system design to give you a better idea of what the possible issues may be IMO

Thanks diamondgas. I have a Worcester Greenstar 18 Ri, my central heating system is vented (the common one before 2000). For my radiators, the problem is that they take ages to heat up and usually they just stay cold. I have a thermostat in the corridor and have a 3 port motorised diverter valve. I have asked my plumber to check it today and he said my cylinder keeps generating air to the whole system because of damages in the coil so it cannot be properly solved unless the cylinder is replaced. He has tried to release air lock and now we have lukewarm water - better than no hot water at all.

Now I have a question, if I turn off all radiators, turn off the control and turn off the cold feed for expansion so that cut off the radiator circulation from the system and just leave the hot water circulation in the system. In that case, will my hot water be back normal?

Thanks again,

Don't cut off the cold feed to the feed and expansion tank. As said, there shouldn't be a valve there anyway.

If the coil has pin holes in it then that could explain the dirty water at your taps.

However it could be other factors.

If your feed and expansion tank starts to over fill and the overflow runs, then you have pin holes in the coil. The water will try (as said) to balance at the tanks.

However deal with one issue at a time. Your radiators are all cold. Correct?

You're hot water isnt getting hot either?

Have you checked the pump?

Cold feed 15 mm

Cold feed 15 mm

Well Helpsy, that was insightful. Helpful even. !!!

Anyway, i'm off to bed. Good luck with your endevours OP. I reckon you may need a second opinion, maybe get someone from the forum to take a look. Your man may have got misguided. Happens to us all at times.

Wondering if the neutral point is blocked as vent pipe excessively high (450 above water level) pumping over

like i and many said dont turn off the valve. best bet is get a plumber round and give you a real life hands on diagnosis because theres only so much can be said over tinternet

Thanks diamondgas. .... he said my cylinder keeps generating air to the whole system because of damages in the coil so it cannot be properly solved unless the cylinder is replaced. ...

Thanks again,

That is absolute ball cocks IMHO :) It sounds like you have circulation problems most likely associated with the configuration you show in your pictures. As Danny suggests, get a second opinion. Without checking the functionality of your pump and valve it's difficult to give advice. One thing to consider and maybe discuss with an 'expert' would be sealing the heating system or at least combining the feed and vent to overcome the possibility of air ingress. Depending on the state of the system will determine whether any further work such as a flush would benefit your system? As mentioned, put up a request on here and at least you can check out to some degree the person's credentials before contacting them ... [DLMURL="http://www.ukplumbersforums.co.uk/im-looking-plumber-gas-engineer/"]I'm looking for a Plumber or Gas Engineer[/DLMURL]

Just put a combi in

Many thanks everyone for your advice and suggestions. I will ask for a plumber here :)

What are the regulations on service valves on heating cold feeds? And I know it's wrong as a few of you have mentioned but why is it wrong? Because most heating systems have gate valves on the cold feed just not as close to the f and e tank.

I came across a double check valve on the (15mm) vent pipe of a F&E cistern recently signed off by a building inspector!!!

If not already mentioned, OP your water level in the cistern may be too high. When cold the fill valve should shut off when the water level is about 10cm. Too high and there's not enough room left for water expansion and it will overflow and top up with fresh when cool, causing rapid corrosion.

If you have overpumping, I would recommend conversion to a sealed system if it is appropriate and suitable for your circuit.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Help needed to understand the purpose of another pipe and valve for expansion tank in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

S
Hi, I seemed to have a blockage in kitchen sink. A plumber came and cleared all the pipework that is visible inside my home (there was debris and pebbles!) We saw that the pipe that takes water down the gutter was visibly full to the top. He said he will return with a coil to push through...
Replies
Views
S
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two hole mixer but the cold water pressure is high mains fed and the hot is low pressure immersion tank fed. I've been trying to find info on what I...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to run the water line underneath. There are existing drain (and who knows what) pipes running along the same wall so I'm nervous about digging too far...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock