Discuss Help me understanding my heating installation and replacement in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi all,

I just joined the forum as I couldn't find help just being a lurker. :)

I just bought my first house (yay me) and it's a new one. The installation has been done my a bunch of different people and the plumber himself couldn't explain fully what he's done (yes, you read it right). I tried to understand myself, open junction boxes etc but, you will see in the picture, it's a mess.

The house is configured this way (three different valves on the boiler):
  • Underfloor wet heating split into two zones for the ground floor
  • Radiators on the floors (1st and 2nd floor, 4 rooms in total)
  • Water cylinder
The underfloor heating is controlled via remote two heatmiser thermostats connected to a UH8-RF.
The radiators are all controlled via a single honeywell remote thermostat.
Then there is a Dangoss programmer in the mix (Electronic 3-Channel FP735Si).

See the attached pictures for a better idea of the installation.

My questions to the forum:
  • what is the point of the Dangoss programmer in all of that? Is it to allow each unit (UH, rads and cylinder) to turn have the boiler on? Is it really necessary?
  • I want to have smarter thermostats with something more centralised. I got three Nest Thermostat thinking it would be doable to swap all to it but the more I dig the more it looks complicated if doable at all. What do you think? I installed a Nest myself in my previous flat on a combi boiler but it was a much more straight forward installation.
I am not a good DYI person but I am not afraid of putting my hands in wires so long I know where I am going. Can you help me getting to that point please? :)

Cheers

Attachments

• 20191120_161226.jpg
    20191120_161226.jpg
    130.7 KB · Views: 89
  • 20191203_201211.jpg
    20191203_201211.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 91
  • 20191203_201220.jpg
    20191203_201220.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 92
  • 20191203_201446.jpg
    20191203_201446.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 83
I'm curious what is the orange piping?
Heatmiser are the market leaders in smart thermostats there neostats will do everything and more than nest and hive.

On the surface it doesn't look that bad the installer wasnt a complete novice where these systems fall down is when they are are wired trying to configure different makes of control can sometimes be difficult theres alot going on there a good sparks should be able to test out the separate circuits controls and explain better than your engineer or maybe with him there also I have my own electrician who I work closely with we both check systems out. Kop

Heatmiser are the market leaders in smart thermostats there neostats will do everything and more than nest and hive.

Sprinkler / mister system
[automerge]1575448057[/automerge]
Looks good install but where’s your main stop tap gone it’s in the pic with the pipping but not with the final boxing ?

Also your filling loop has gone aswell ?

Last edited:
Thanks all! My comments below.

Indeed, orange pipe is for sprinklers.

Can neostats / Heatmiser automatically learn and adapt to our pattern? Can it detect if I am getting home early and turn on the heating? Those are the types of things I liked from the Nest as well the very looking style it has (thermostats are often very ugly).

On the surface it doesn't look that bad the installer wasnt a complete novice where these systems fall down is when they are are wired trying to configure different makes of control can sometimes be difficult theres alot going on there a good sparks should be able to test out the separate circuits controls and explain better than your engineer or maybe with him there also I have my own electrician who I work closely with we both check systems out. Kop

That's a good sumup ; it "looks" good indeed but behind the scene it's hard for anyone to maintain. I will have to get someone in anyway to help understanding it / cleaning and switching to something "smarter".

Sprinkler / mister system
[automerge]1575448057[/automerge]
Looks good install but where’s your main stop tap gone it’s in the pic with the pipping but not with the final boxing ?

Also your filling loop has gone aswell ?

Those are two very questions... I feel like they just buried the whole thing and I can't even fill-in at the moment (I have air in the radiators but I am afraid of venting it as I will lose pressure I can put back).

Hi guys,

Thanks so far for the ones who responded to my thread.

I am now really going for a full replacement of the current controls with Nest Thermostat ones. I think this is how the installation would look like:
  • I get rid of the the Dangoss programmer (it will be replaced with the Nests)
  • Hot water and radiators valves connected onto one Nest
  • UH8 zone 1 connected to one Nest
  • UH8 zone 2 connected to one Nest
Does that make sense?

Thanks
[automerge]1576247823[/automerge]
EDIT: actually the UH8-RF can't be used with anything else to control it. So I need a new underfloor heating wiring center. I will go for the UH4, I don't need 8, without the "RF" feature. Does that make sense to you?

Last edited:
Are you sure as I’m sure it’s just a wired stat with the uh8

??

Reply to Help me understanding my heating installation and replacement in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Later this year I am going away for a 2 week holiday and as the weather will be warm there is no need for the heating to be on and arguably...
Replies
Views
Every two weeks or so I have to go and top up the system because the hot taps are running cold. Boiler display is flashing 0.6 bar and I fill up...
Replies
Views
PSxxxxxx
P
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two...
Replies
Views
We are from Alberta, and I own an electrical company. I have been asked by a BC Mechanical P. Eng. to install an emergency STOP button at the...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock