Currently reading:
help! I can smell gas when i put hot water on (new combi boiler) really need advice

Discuss help! I can smell gas when i put hot water on (new combi boiler) really need advice in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

worried

Hi there,
I would sooo appreciate any help or advice anyone has...

I wanted a shower fitted as Ive lived in my flat for 12 years and a friend recommended a plumber guy who said i would be better off with a new system to get the water pressure...
it started that he'd charge £1600 which i thought was a brilliant deal and that he was completely legit.

Long story short.. i ended up paying him and his apparent certified friend £2100 including an extra £142 to have a gas certificate...

all i have is a number and the guy is totally ignoring me... i paid him in good faith as he was a friend of a friend kinda thing so thought i was in safe hands...
i have been phoning them and have nothing else on paper to even report them....

i never got my gas certificate or paper work and i can smell gas everytime i put the heating on.. now in the last few days the pressure is dropping and near the red mark...

i have been away a lot this year as my mum is very ill and this was a few months ago... Im also on a lot of medication and have pending operations and my heads been a bit all over the place.

now im starting to freak out and dont know who i should call for help or advice or how to approach the situation...
please anyone who can point me in the right direction please do or any help or advice would be appreciated.
Ive been totally ripped off and i think because im a woman who doesnt really understand how gas works, feel vunerable.

many thanks

Re: help! I can smell gas when i put hot water on (new combi boiler) really need advi

turn off your gas at the meter,do not smoke,or use any electrical switchesr and call 0800 111 999

Re: help! I can smell gas when i put hot water on (new combi boiler) really need advi

call a a gas safe engineer imediatly if you can smell gas to be safe! could be something simple but cant give good advice on gas smells on a forum etc! best advice is to get it checked by some one competent pay the bill then take up with the other engineer, your life etc is more important! sorry to be frank but its defo the correct corse of action!

turn off your gas at the meter,do not smoke,or use any electrical switchesr and call 0800 111 999

even better!

do not use your gas ,turn gas off and report to transco as gas man mention and ring that number on my previous post to report them . if need good gas man list locaton as we have a long list of professional gas engineers

you should always ask to see there CURRENT gas safe card, then check it on the gas safe web site, just to be sure. you should find a gas safe registered engineer on the site near you to come and check everything over. if you smell gas you should turn your gas off at the meter by turning the control valve (should be labeled) into the off position. As for contacting the installer that did your work you should start by asking your friend who gave you the number in the first place. and when you have there details inform the gas safe register of the "tradesman" as they may be able to assist you.

hi there many thanks, i am located in london E8.

hi there, thank you everyone who said helloooooooooooo, i really appreciate it.
I eventually got proper gas men (i checked their registration numbers and stuff) out on friday and they sorted it no problem... it was a gas leak and they checked everything and give me my gas certificate. They also said that the previous guys had fitted the cheapest boiler and put the thermostat in the wrong place.. no radiator.. but that will cost me and i will sort this as soon as i can afford too.
I would definitely use these guys again and wish i had done in the first place but i have definitely learnt. Their price was really reasonable and Im just so relieved.
I suffer with many health conditions and raynauds so i need the heat and it makes my little place all cosy and safe and like home again!
I will find a way or getting the information I need and reporting the previous cowboys.
:)))))))))

hi there, thank you everyone who said helloooooooooooo, i really appreciate it.
I eventually got proper gas men (i checked their registration numbers and stuff) out on friday and they sorted it no problem... it was a gas leak and they checked everything and give me my gas certificate. They also said that the previous guys had fitted the cheapest boiler and put the thermostat in the wrong place.. no radiator.. but that will cost me and i will sort this as soon as i can afford too.
I would definitely use these guys again and wish i had done in the first place but i have definitely learnt. Their price was really reasonable and Im just so relieved.
I suffer with many health conditions and raynauds so i need the heat and it makes my little place all cosy and safe and like home again!
I will find a way or getting the information I need and reporting the previous cowboys.
:)))))))))

I'm glad you got your problem sorted. There are some good guys out there. Its good of you to come on here and say this as we always seemed to be portrayed as cowboys on the tele etc. Fair play to yourself for coming on here and saying some good stuff.

Hopefully thats the end of all your problems

welcome along glad your leak was sorted you know where we are if you need any more help

I would definitely try and find out more about the cowboys who had you over (maybe try the local saloon) and report them to Gas safe forthwith. As said before, there are a lot of em out there who give the good guys a bad name.................. Name em and shame em!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to help! I can smell gas when i put hot water on (new combi boiler) really need advice in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock