Discuss Help & Advice in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

ChrisBach

Hi, i am writing to ask for advice on what to do. I have always wanted learn the plumbing trade and now im nearly 24, its time to pull my finger out as i have had to many dead end jobs. I was going to start a fast track city and guilds course next month but have read many mixed opinions. Any advice on how to make a start would be much appreciated, should i go and do the course? or stay in my current job and go to night school? or. . . ??i have been told many diffrent routes but with no explanations, at my age im guessing it would be difficult to start an apprenticeship, im willing to fund my own learning, its just gettin a job that im finding hard. please someone help me, many thanks

I woudln't worry about being 24! I've just retrained as a plumber at 42! Yes there's lot of tails about various courses (some of which are probably true!) but I did a load of reasearch and ended up at NTPS training in Hyde. I did a city and guilds whilst working by using my holidays and a few evenings. My advice would be if you want to do it, go for it, but make sure you research which company you go with first.

how did you get into the trade? was you already working for a company when you did your level 2? plumbinh is something i have always wanted to get into, but now its just taking that 1st step

No i wasn't already in the trade but am now self employed. I did my level 2 at NTPS training in Hyde. They have a website if you want to have a look. They're honest, decent blokes who know their stuff. Just make sure you do a load of research before you hand any money over. Go and see the companies and check small print!

hope this helps

i have managed to find a center nearer to me and have now enrolled. what did you do for work straight after college if you dont mind me asking? this is the kind of advice i am after, just a point in the right direction?

ChrisBach

Nothing's easy these days and having difficulty getting a foothold into plumbing is no exception. If you want to start a business (any business, not just plumbing) most people advise you to tell as many people as possible about it.

No different to your predicament of wondering how to get a foot in the doorway to a job or apprenticeship or whatever it is you're looking for, and it's hard work.

I'd suggest you write a list of 250 people you know. Don't know 250 people? I bet you do! While you won't always speak to them many you'll see frequently. You have some family. Presumably you have friends. Presumably you live with people rather than in a field or the jungle. You'll have postman, neighbours, supermarket checkout person you see regularly, garage mechanic/service manager, a builder you might know, etc, etc.

With these people, over a month or two tell them all you're thinking about being a plumber. Never chatted to the postman? Here's your opportunity and a chance to tell him what your plans are. One or two might say you're mad or a crackpot (and unfortunately it's worth listening to them!!) and many others will wish you luck. The reason you're doing this is that hopefully among these 250 people, a few might talk to one or two others (another 250 people) and between these 500 people or so, someone just might know of someone looking for a plumber or trainee or whatever it might be that you're looking for. Some might have great advice, others might be useless and ask you to mend their tap or change their hot water cylinder!

Unless you do something about it, nothing will happen. Money doesn't come to millionaires, they go to it. The same happens with a good step up in your career.

Good luck though with whatever happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Help & Advice in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock