Discuss Heating Not Switching off with room thermostat in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

kas

Hi, Need some help.
My CH/HW system has a problem. Everything works fine except for one thing, the heating is not being controlled by the hallway room thermostat, it is permanently on if the programmer is set to heating 'On'. Obviously if the thermostat is turned down below the ambient temperature than the stat should trigger the CH to turn off and vice versa if it is to cool the heating should fire back up, as it has always done since I moved into the house. But alas my heating stays on regardless of stat temperature.
This came to light last night when I put the heating 'on' and after about an hour the heat was obviously above what it should have been, i twisted the stat up and down a few times but nothing cut the boiler off.
I did change the Drayton Ma1 3 port motorised valve during the summer as it was faulty (when hot water selected the rads were partially heating up so valve needed changing). Could the new valve be faulty in some way?
When I turn the room stat slowly around it still clicks at the point the boiler should come on/off, but has no effect, could the thermostat still be faulty even though it 'clicks'.
As I say there are no other faults apart from the heating not been regulated by the room thermostat, it is just either on or off via the programmer.
Please help, what are the chances it is linked to the 'new' valve i installed and being defective. ps I have checked and double checked all the wiring in the airing cupboard with no solution to the problem.
Thanks in advance. kas

yes thermostat could be faulty even if it clicks also the valve you changed may not have been wired correctly, gte the guy back who changed it

Hi, Thanks for the reply. I actually did the valve change myself. I just re-wired it up as it had been previously (took photo's etc etc). I have double checked the wiring and it all seems fine. Any ideas how I can 'test' the room thermostat? It is a Drayton turn wheel style (not digital).

photo.jpg

Picture of the wiring. Bit of a mess I know but that's how its always been. Can anyone see a wiring problem?

Identify wiring from room stat at wiring centre. Disconnect return wire and check if wire only becomes live when stat calls for heat. If so your stat is working correctly. Down load wiring plan to match your set up and rewire accordingly. Finally if problem persists disconnect heating call at wiring centre, leaving call for DHW and if rads still get hot and 3 port valve is correctly orientated then valve is probably stuck.

Unfortunately I do not have the necessary equipment to test wiring. I'm thinking the 2 likely culprits would be either the thermostat or the motorised valve. Would somewhere like Screwfix let me buy both and return if not faulty or not required. The valve can be checked quickly as the body seperates from the copper valve and likewise with the room stat. Are there any other possible problem areas?

is the white wire from the valve if so most systems dont use the white wire was it definatley connected,

Hi, Have got it sorted. I doubled checked all the wiring again and found that the 'white' wire from the new valve was in the wrong place, moved to correct place and now communicating with the thermostat again. Phew, just glad it's sorted. Thanks for the help !

Had to move white wire one place to the left (where it was originally) dont know how I messed that up. Gasmk1 you were on the right lines. Thanks

Any idea on best way of tidying that connector block up, or housing it in something more suitable so it is not disturbed.

Any idea on best way of tidying that connector block up, or housing it in something more suitable so it is not disturbed.

Maplin sell boxes of various sizes.

Ok, thanks will take a look. Probably a job for another day as just glad it's sorted. Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Heating Not Switching off with room thermostat in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi everyone, Looking for a bit of advice, recently went to a job where heating was operating when called for however not for the hot water. I...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold...
Replies
Views
Hello, I am seeking some advice, I have a POTTERTON PROMAX 28 COMBI Boiler and I noticed yesterday that the water around the house is no longer...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is...
Replies
Views
I have had a look at previous posts and think I know the answer to this but just before I make it worse could I just check what you think about...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock