Search the forum,

Discuss Heating coming on when not timed to in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

plumb_know

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
image.jpgimage.jpg

Sorry for essay in advance,

Don't know if pics will be of help. customer mentioned that her heating was coming on during the day when it wasn't timed to and she has been recieving high bills. System was installed by bg 7 years ago, symptoms started as 1rad in hallway being hot all the time, engineer came out and turned trv down on rad but this just caused the bathroom rad to get hot instead. Customer just put up with this but now a year down the line all the heating is coming on even when it is not timed to and with the room stat turned right down.
The system is a s plan, the motorised valve seems to be working, I can see the arm moving and hear the motor working when turning heating on and off. The motorised valve for the hot water arm moves also when cylinder stat turned up and down, but the arm doesn't seem to move quite as much as the heating one. The heating return looks like it is teed in after hot water return. I am thinking that hot water is programmed to come on during the day and then isn't turning off fully once heated so the heat begins to circulate around the heating via the heating return where it is teed in after cylinder return?

But wouldn't this of happened from when it was first installed? Anyone know what could be causing this? I am going to go back to do a proper inspection, what should I be testing?
I don't have lots of heating experience but am self employed so the only way of me learning is by taking on new jobs and doing lots of research and hep from you guys.
Boiler is a baxi system 100he

thanks for any help

Last edited:
symptoms started as 1rad in hallway being hot all the time, engineer came out and turned trv down on rad but this just caused the bathroom rad to get hot instead.
"Engineer" is an idiot.

all the heating is coming on even when it is not timed to and with the room stat turned right down. The system is a s plan, the motorised valve seems to be working, I can see the arm moving and hear the motor working when turning heating on and off.
The motor may be working and the arm moving, but the CH valve could be sticking or letting by. Feel the pipe a foot or so after the valve to see if it gets hot when it shouldn't. Also, remove the actuator and check that the spindle can be turned easily by hand. A sticking spindle can usually be loosened by the application of a silicon lubricant. If pipe is hot and valve not sticking, it is letting by it is letting by. Complete new valve required. (If you have a Honeywell valve with removable actuator, you can get a repair kit Part No 272752A/U CARD.)

The heating return looks like it is teed in after hot water return. I am thinking that hot water is programmed to come on during the day and then isn't turning off fully once heated so the heat begins to circulate around the heating via the heating return where it is teed in after cylinder return?
If the heating return has been connected after the cylinder return then you will get reverse circulation. Definitely worth checking the connections are in the correct order.

Passing motorised valve or dodgy wiring, the hot water could be back feeding the motor on the heating valve. To check this, turn hot water on only and make sure there is no power onto the brown wire on the heating valve. As for passing valve, turn hot water on and see if it gets hot after the motorised valve.
I would check both items.

If it was installed 7 years ago and it's only just started doing this now then it's the heating zone valve
the actuators on those valves in the photo are crap, and the valve body spindles stick. Change the full valve and head for a Honeywell.

I concur ! The valves are pish. Swap both for Honeywell while it's drained. Easy way to check is remove ( orange I think) from either valve when no demand and check back to neutral for 240v if juice on s/l from valve means micro is dead. Valves will be passing and soon leaking on spindles no doubt. Check that cylinder stat works too.

Thanks everyone,

very helpful ful as usual, I will change both for Honeywell. Was thinking the valves looked a bit cheap.

will let you know if it worked.

thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Heating coming on when not timed to in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Have a sytem boiler with unvented cylinder with 2 heating zones plus hot water in a house we moved into recently. To start with we were always amazed at the water pressure so on the odd occasion that the water was only luke warm it was easily forgiven, but over time we have come to realise that...
Replies
Views
Can central heating / gas engineer expert help me with below issue. During winter time only, I have been having issue with low pressure or pressure dropping with unvented hot water cylinder system. During summer time there is no usage of central heating so the pressure at unvented system is not...
Replies
Views
My central heating is run off a heat pump ( air to water ) quite expensive to run , So I’m plainning to fit a wood burning with a back boiler to connect to the heating system, So while the wood burning on during winter months it will stop the heat pump for working hard Or not all all . My...
Replies
Views
We have UFH throughout downstairs. I have had one coil replaced. I have had the thermostats checked that they are linking to the correct actuators, which they are. the cupboard where the UFH system is gets hot when I turn up the thermostats in one or all zones. The boiler is coming on but the...
Replies
Views
Trying to find out exactly what happens when my system boiler is called to supply the radiators and hot water cylinder at the same time. For example today, whilst the boiler was on heating the water, the room stat triggered the boiler to supply the rads. The diverter valve installed in the...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock