Discuss Head scratching heating problem in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

JamesE

Hi guys

Been having a problem with the mother in laws heating. All has been well since she brought the house seven years ago. Then sometime last week the heating started firing up on its own even with programmer off. When it does this there is no control over anything. You can cycle through the programmer with no response. ( lifestyle lp112 ) then she noticed when she had the hot water on the rads would become hot so all pointed to the 3 way mid position valve. Drayton. So i changed the head and it has fixed the problem. But the original problem still exists. Ive noticed that when the last thing to be on was the heating this is when it randomly comes on anytime of day or night. When the last thing on was water then it doesn't do it. Ive also changed the programmer and there is no room stat so I'm a bit stuck on this one. Desperately seeking your expert knowledge. Thanks guys

The power goes through the cylinder stat to the heating on a y plan system I think, maybe that could be worth changing as its a relatively cheap item - is it an old one on there?

what boiler is it? Could it be an internal boiler fault? Similar to old Worcester ri's that fired the boiler due to a stray boltage from the control system...

Thanks for the speedy replies guys. From what i understand the power goes from the programmer to the 3 way valve which tells the boiler to fire up. It only comes on when the last thing on was the heating. So the valve stays on the H when switched off. Which is causing it to keep coming on so im guessing its a problem live maybe ? But if it is then surely it would remain on constantly. The boiler is a potterton suprima 40. The pcb was changed about two years ago because it kept locking out. Could it be the same again ?

Drayton valves are carp. Replace the valve body too, not just the head as it's likely to be sticking.

Ive already changed the grey actuator. Just clips on and off. So your suggesting to change the valve itself too and see if that does the trick ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Head scratching heating problem in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, My step daughter was ripped off by a cowboy builder so I’ve been helping her out and fittted her two radiator. I’ve no idea what is under some...
Replies
Views
My Grant combi oil boiler is giving me quite a headache at the moment. When I returned home last Friday I'd no heating or hot water. An engineer...
Replies
Views
M
I've got a heating boiler which heats up the water in a tank located in a cupboard upstairs and then from there I get hot water & hearing. I get...
Replies
Views
I have been facing central heating low pressure on unvented hot water RM Cylinders but can't see any leak on the PRV, expansion vessels and...
Replies
Views
losing pressure
L
Hi, Over the past few months, my wife and I have noticed a constant pulsing sound throughout the house which is particularly noisy at night (this...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock