Search the forum,

Discuss Gurgling from primary circuit, Y plan system in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

I've noticed that my hot water primary circuit has started gurgling a lot.
My system is a conventional 'y' plan and the controller will not allow heating without hot water. The gurgling is at it's worst when there is only hot water demand.
I'm pretty sure there's no air in the system and in any event there is an open vent to the header tank so I can't see how air could be trapped. There is plenty of head to the pump, but I'm wondering if it's cavitating and if so how I overcome this. The pump is a Grundfos 15-50 and it's set on the mid speed setting so it creates enough flow for the heating circuit to work satisfactorily.
Any ideas would be welcomed.

Have had a further look this morning and it seems I have an open vented system that is fully pumped. Could the hot water circuit be drawing air in from the vent do you think??

It's when it starts to bang and pop increasingly loudly as the water gets hot due to localised boiling inside the heat exchanger caused usually by sludge, scale, or voids formed by corrosion.

Ok thanks, doubt it’s that then. I think I just have an obstinate air lock in the primary circuit. Have tried pump on all settings in an effort to dislodge but no luck yet. Doubt it can be much else. Will persevere.

Reply to Gurgling from primary circuit, Y plan system in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two hole mixer but the cold water pressure is high mains fed and the hot is low pressure immersion tank fed. I've been trying to find info on what I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock