Discuss Going self employed from BG in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

My actual base salary is 35.5k but because I get a non pensionable suppliment and London weighting it's actually 39.5k as salary. The rest I earn in weekends, on call, sales, OT and rest day servicing.

That's on the current contract, so you can see why we are fighting for it.

The new one takes away the non pensionable suppliment and London weighting. Also the rates of pay for the extras is massively reduced. We will also be doing 3hrs extra a week and have a new performance metric we have to hit or else we loose out on pay and holiday.

Also the sick pay and holiday is being changed for the worse. All in all not worth being there anymore. I've seen jobs online for independent firms offering better.

It's a shame because I've had 10 good years, you get the occasional *******, but it's easy money once your in, almost impossible to get rid of you...well until now.

don’t underestimate the value of the employers pension contribution either

don’t underestimate the value of the employers pension contribution either
Pensions are a very big cost at the moment.

IMO one of the first things someone setting up as self-employed needs to do is get an accountant who does small business work. Pension provision should be an early topic for discussion. Also, if you are hoping to sell the business when you retire that needs planning too.

after taking costs like van, public liability, fuel, holiday pension pay, your own gas safe etc. You will need to make about £50k profit a year to earn that.
take your odd jobs for mates and BG looks a decent place to stay. Even if it’s not as good as it was.

Reply to Going self employed from BG in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

A
Hi all I'm a limited company that's been running for 12 years and I have a lot of ongoing work, 99% commercial, and a lot of it plumbing, in...
Replies
Views
I have approx 2 weeks work in kingston i need a qualified plumber to assist me with starting on the 30th may. must be self employed, own tools...
Replies
Views
I'm looking for a commercial gas engineer to assist with servicing, callouts etc. work is mostly london based but also have sites in kent/essex...
Replies
Views
Neil Ambrose
N
    • Love
Hi All, usually come on here when I'm troubleshooting! Anyway I'm a builder, plenty of experience, from diy as a squatter in the 70's and 80's...
Replies
Views
Hello, I've got a testo 327-1 that I purchased back in 2019 when I went self employed. The analyser hasn't been calibrated since purchase. After...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock