Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss Going back on the cards in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Rickster123

Evening all! Thought I'd share the news that as of next Monday I will be employed directly for the first time in 9 years. I've contracted constantly over the 9 years and earnt some cracking dosh but the weeks without work or quiet weeks have increased this year. The company that I have contracted for over the last 9 months have offered a position on the cards and after a lot of thought I've decided to take it. No more gas safe expense, no acs payment to find, no van tax mot or fuel and a paid holiday! I'm looking forward to drinking a glass of wine on Christmas day and getting paid for it!

I tried that for a while and soon hated it. But everyone has bills to pay and a family to keep, so you're doing the right thing.

Best of luck AP and I hope it all works out for you. :biggrin5:

Thanks chaps. I'm hoping it will work out ok. The test will be when they phone at 3pm on a friday for me to go and do a job! Id like to think they know me well enough not to try it but I'm keeping my own van just incase!

Nice one. Not an easy decision to make. I've had a company who have offered me work a few times but I've managed to resist. Hope it works out for you.

Good idea to keep your own van though! At least you can still do cobbles & not risk being seen!

Thanks chaps. I'm hoping it will work out ok. The test will be when they phone at 3pm on a friday for me to go and do a job! Id like to think they know me well enough not to try it but I'm keeping my own van just incase!

Good call keeping your own van mate. For the sake of 170 quid a year I'd keep your gas safe aswell in case you can't take being employed again. I know some firms don't like it but they can't stop you from having it.

What firm you starting at?

Good call keeping your own van mate. For the sake of 170 quid a year I'd keep your gas safe aswell in case you can't take being e employed again. I know some firms don't like it but they can't stop you from having it.

What firm you starting at?

Its a company in Andover. They seem to be growing rapidly and winning more and more work. I've got a little while to run on my gas safe but after that if I'm happy on the cards then that will do for me.
ive had days where I've been in agony with back pain but had to claw my way into work just to make a living.. Ain't doing that agin I hope!

Congrats mate, not sure I could do it again, but would enjoy the perks for sure.

I like my freedom too much :) But everybody's got to do what they have to do. Hope it works out.

I'm on the cards and often think of going back self employed, cos the freedom only joking app ;-)
I sometimes think I could earn more money but then I think what I've got us a steady wage that pays the mortgage etc.

Good luck and hope they treat you right. I wouldn't be self employed if I could find a company who treat there engineers well.

Self Employed and Freedom ?

What a contradiction.

APP leave us to our own illusions or delusions when you call in on a Friday night after checking your bank account to see the balance increased and it's all yours :hurray:

APP come back in six/12 months and let us know how happy you are in your work , everyone i know who has gone on the books or works on the books are miserable as sin. they are the ones down the merchants bleating about tennants, the boss, call outs ,pay etc etc .
hope works for you but at moment in time not for me

I did this recently app! However werent trading self employed as long as u. Its alot more relaxed what with not having to find the work and just turn up and get your jobs for the day.

Good luck app! Hopefully it will turn out to be a good decision mate

i could not do it until i am 45 at least ......i dont know how other guys who work on the cards can survive on 25k a year ...

I wouldn't be doing it for 25 grand! I'm looking forward to it but like I've said if I'm not happy with it I will jump back in my van and go back to contracting. I'm spending 180 quid a week on fuel at the moment so even by saving that I should be quids in.

i agree mate but still is it possible to ? I have never lived outside london . I enjoy fitting boilers on a contract work , i get to fit between 3-5 boilers a week and the ÂŁ are good too

Whats the going rate for a heating engineer at the moment. Or what have people heard, what are the bg boys on? On the cards of course.

I wouldn't be doing it for 25 grand! I'm looking forward to it but like I've said if I'm not happy with it I will jump back in my van and go back to contracting. I'm spending 180 quid a week on fuel at the moment so even by saving that I should be quids in.

180 quid a week? What are you driving, a Bugatti veyron:)
Its a bridle feeling spending that amount, I used to work in Northampton and used to do a tank and a half a week on diesel, made me cry filling up. But I'm working local now and a tank of fuel will last me 4/5 weeks.

I'm going to London and further. It's contracting. Prices are good but with fuel off it ain't so great. I started on a local contract with them but that came to an end. I like the way they treat their fitters and there's no call out.

I'm going to London and further. It's contracting. Prices are good but with fuel off it ain't so great. I started on a local contract with them but that came to an end. I like the way they treat their fitters and there's no call out.

may i suggest you consider stay sub and move closer to london

Whats the going rate for a heating engineer at the moment. Or what have people heard, what are the bg boys on? On the cards of course.

That depends how good or how fast you are.
20k for a numpty up to 60k for the top guys books in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Going back on the cards in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Dear All, I hope you might be able to point me in the right direction with an issue I have with a 3 year old Greenstar 30i boiler, last serviced...
Replies
Views
I'll pop this into the general advice forum as it seems the most active, but mods - feel free to move if there's somewhere more appropriate. Thank...
Replies
Views
Hi all, We recently purchased a house and nothing seems to work correctly here, I've spent weeks rectifying issues. Plumbing, electrical...
Replies
Views
Hi there, thanks for your time to look at this record long post!! I work on the operational management side or a small building contracting firm...
Replies
Views
H
Hi there, thanks for your time to look at this record long post!! I work on the operational management side or a small building contracting firm...
Replies
Views
HRP123
H
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock