Discuss Getting closer to becoming a plumber hopefully, requesting more advice in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

armyash

Esteemed
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Subscribed
Ok so anyone who has read any of my threads in the past may know that I am determined to become a plumber once I have left the army. It feels like an eternity for me so I apologise if you feel de ja vu when reading through this! :p

A quick update, My final day in the army is 29th November 2012 but I have been granted resettlement entitlements so I will be out before that date. Part of my entitlement is money towards training.

A reminder of the qualifications I have:

C&G 6129

CCN1
CKR1
HTR1
WAT1
CPA1
CEN1
CONGLP1PD
VESLP1

Water Regulations
CSCS card

The plan is to gain the NVQ level 2 and unvented hot water.

What electrical qualification would benefit me the most in the plumbing trade? Part P or is there something else I would be better off doing?

What MCS qualifications would I be wise to consider?

What about underfloor heating is there a course that anyone could recommend or do you think that route would be a waste of time?

Basically i'm interested to know if you had time and funds to do courses and you was in my position what would you do?

On another note, if anyone in the Kent area or further away in the South East that's practical requires a tea boy/labourer on a weekend in return for letting me learn from you then feel free to PM me, won't cost you time or money.

Thanks for reading.

Get all your advertising in order, before chucking the Army. Suggest putting a few newspaper ads a few weeks before you come out of the Army to see what response you get. Anyone who calls, tell them that you are really busy and will pop round in a few weeks!

Try Serif Pageplus and Serif Webplus to save a fortune in design for print and for easy to design websites.

www.serif.com

Great idea! thanks

Also one of the best things ANY self employed person could do is to enrol in a weekend or short course for a few hours a week in their local college doing marketing and design. Im qualified in graphic design and do all my own marketing and I'm glad I did.

That sounds like a good idea also. What costs would I be looking at for something like that?
Mines was a 3 year HND course as I had a printing and design firm as well as plumbing. Most colleges hold vocational courses and you should contact a few of them for a prospectus telling them you're interested in marketing and design. Won't cost a fortune and it will pay for itself many times over!

Mines was a 3 year HND course as I had a printing and design firm as well as plumbing. Most colleges hold vocational courses and you should contact a few of them for a prospectus telling them you're interested in marketing and design. Won't cost a fortune and it will pay for itself many times over!

or speak nicley to system

I'll be putting a few templates of leaflets, business cards, letterheads and invoices on the forum later on in the year, when work gets a bit less hectic. Until then I recommend Serif Pageplus for novices in design.

All useful advice! Thanks. I have so much I have to do but luckily I still have time on my side, just need to prioritise now and things should hopefully work out. Once I have sorted extra qualifications, advertising, van etc it's just the small matter of actually booking jobs in and hoping for the best! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Getting closer to becoming a plumber hopefully, requesting more advice in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock