Search the forum,

Discuss gate valve and vent on header tank outlet to speed future work in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi,
about to replace some radiators, so need to drain system.
While i'm doing it I'm thinking about doing a mod to make future drain downs quicker:
Idea is adding a gatevalve on header tank outlet, and just below the gatevalve add a tee to a pipe that goes up to above tank level with another gate valve on that pipe (air admittance pipe).
Normally tank outlet valve will be open, and one on other pipe will be closed.
Then to drain system, close header tank outlet valve, and open air admittance pipe gatevalve. then only need to drain volume of water in pipework to do work.
What do you experts think of this ?
thanks John

yeah, but then I would have to drain the header tank each time, which is several gallons, through a slow drain outlet.

Shouldn't be gallons max 4 litres

Also drain valve should be full flow washer stuck ??

A feed pipe from heating tank (f&e tank) is also a safety vent and should never have any valve on it.
Only should have an isolating valve on mains supply to ballvalve.
Gatevalves should be avoided anyhow as they tend to seize, break, or not seal off fully.
F&E tanks are called 10 gallon/4 gallon because they are supposed to only hold maximum of 4 gallons and be for top up and expansion, not storage.
If your tank has much more than about 3 inches depth of water, then it is wrong and needs that sorted.

Your problem with “slow drain” is caused by not having a good drain point . Use a full flow valve on lowest point of system to aid fast draining. Also fit a stopend on it to prevent it being opened accidentally.

Exactly as Shaun has said, but in more words:

In nearly every domestic system, the water level in the F&E serving the primary circuit (boiler and rads) should be as low as possible. In practice, the valve is usually installed quite high up the wall of the cistern and the water volume is higher than is strictly needed. Sometimes a BS1212: part 1 ('Portsmouth') valve can be replaced with a part 2 to lower the water level, or the float arm can be carefully bent down.

Drain valves are often very poor (because householders don't tend to use and notice them and so they are built to a cost), especially once they are old. Often the washer goes hard and seizes onto the seat and you find the water is only draining through the hole in the middle of the washer. If draining remains slow after rectifying, you may find the tank outlet itself is partially obstructed (look up 'blocked feed from F&E').

Thanks for advice, going to drain tomorrow, already found several drain cocks need replacing as having opened them they now leak. I guess I can just replace the unscrewable bits of soldered valves, others are 1/2" bsp so can easily fit new complete valves.

Thanks for advice, going to drain tomorrow, already found several drain cocks need replacing as having opened them they now leak. I guess I can just replace the unscrewable bits of soldered valves, others are 1/2" bsp so can easily fit new complete valves.
Probably just clean out the dirt and remnants of old washers and fit new washers. I nearly always replace draw-off cock washers whenever I drain down: saves hassle later.

Do all 15mm / 1/2" bsp drain cocks use the same washers?

Having drained completely today, I can see not draining header tank really wouldn't save much time. The bulk of the water drains very fast, it's the last little bit in each rad drop that takes the time.

Do all 15mm / 1/2" bsp drain cocks use the same washers?

Having drained completely today, I can see not draining header tank really wouldn't save much time. The bulk of the water drains very fast, it's the last little bit in each rad drop that takes the time.
You get the type A and type B washers, but other than that, they tend to be fairly standard. Some merchants will sell you a mixed bag.

Reply to gate valve and vent on header tank outlet to speed future work in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to run the water line underneath. There are existing drain (and who knows what) pipes running along the same wall so I'm nervous about digging too far...
Replies
Views
I have had a look at previous posts and think I know the answer to this but just before I make it worse could I just check what you think about this one. Granddaughter just moved house and this valve decided to leak when it was closed. When open its fine. Normally I have repacked the gland on...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock