Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Checkout our Plumbers Insurance area - heavily discounted Public Liability Insurance and Van Insurance specifically designed for plumbers.

Discuss Gas smell in meter box in the Gas Safe Register Forum - Public Forum area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

1. daWilko

daWilko Member

Hi All - another dumb question, so apologies in advance. Today I opened the meter box at my "new" 80s terrace to take meter readings for the first time. There was a wiff of a gas smell, which disappeared in the fresh air and didn't return. I will repeat this tomorrow to confirm, but I think there might be a very slow leak (?) . Call supplier? Your thoughts and advice appreciated :)

2. Harvest Fields

Harvest Fields Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

Gas safe Engineer needed to test mate.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Darren Jackson

Darren Jackson Plumber GSR

If in any doubt turn off the gas and dial 0800 111 999 and tell them you think you can smell gas at the meter. Better safe than sorry.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 2
  4. ShaunCorbs

ShaunCorbs S. Mod Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

It might be from when they turned the gas back on

But agree with the others better safe than sorry

You could wait and try again as you say your choice

5. daWilko

daWilko Member

Thanks Guys !
    I tried the cupboard again this morning and got the same very small wiff of gas. I've called my local GSR and he's popping by 8am tomorrow. I'm pretty sure it's very minor, in that it takes overnight for the smell to be noticeable at all, and only when the meter cupboard door is first opened. Then it's gone. We'll see what Allan finds tomorrow :)

6. firemant

firemant Plumber GSR

If you had phoned 0800111999, as advised, they would have been out and sorted it by now.Free of charge.

Even a "small" smell of gas can emenate from a large escape. the chances are it is from a fitting, but "outsiders" are escapes in the street which track into buildings around the lore loosely compacted earth etc around services.

If your local could not respond quickly, he really should have advised a call to Cadent.

• Agree Agree x 4
  7. firemant

firemant Plumber GSR

Sorry, Shaun. On this I have to disagree. A smell should be reported and investigated as soon as.

From experience, if someone thinks they smell gas, they nearly always are.

Cat homes notwithstanding :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Harvest Fields

I do agree however on the small chance the leak is from the governor. Then yes it would have been free of change. However CADENT will not repair fittings.

9. firemant

firemant Plumber GSR

Yes they do, mate.
    Technically, anything up to the outlet is their responsibility. In practice, they would often repair anything in the box. Alrhough the latter may be an area thing. There is normally only 2 fittings after the outlet, unless there is a Tee.

• Informative Informative x 1
  10. Harvest Fields

I’ve been to loads where they have just TOFO.

11. firemant

firemant Plumber GSR

Where the leak was before the outlet?

If so, a call and bollocking would be in order. Up to the outlet is their problem. Without question. And they disc the outlet, not the inlet.

12. Harvest Fields

No mate. I’m on about the outlet when I say fittings.

13. firemant

firemant Plumber GSR

Ok, Harv, but you confused us slightly :) :
    I do agree however on the small chance the leak is from the governor. Then yes it would have been free of change. However CADENT will not repair fittings.

The thing is, in a box, the leak, from experience, is nearly always a washer (one of 3) or test nipple. And when (and where) I was there most guys would sort out a small issue on the immediate outlet pipe, certainly of it was a compression fitting. It is often easier to sort than to do more paperwork.

Hopefully the OP will elucidate, after his mate calls

14. Harvest Fields

Sorry for the confusion

• Like Like x 1
  15. daWilko

daWilko Member

Hi All - well - 0800111999 got a call this morning and they promptly attended. Turns out the regulator was dribbling so it got replaced. He also added a meter bracket (!!!), a new isolator and a bit of pipework. So all is well again at Casa daWilko, thanks for your thoughts and good advice :) .
    I've got happy snaps but the Forum won't let me post them just now. I'll try again later on tonight.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1