Discuss gas safe number and work outside of work!! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

beesley121

hi guys,

after working as a plumber for the past 5 years, i decided i needed to become GSR. i have been working with a GSE for the last 12 months with the company i work for and Im in the process of completing my portfolio so i can take my exams to become GSR.

anyway, when i finally do become GSR obviously i will become registered under my company. I assume this means that only gas works completed with work can be passed off but i want to be able to do some work at the weekends for myself so is it possible that i can obtain my own GS number and how do i go about??. obviously, this would also mean that any jobs i pass off in my own time would be liable to a payment to the tax man so does this also mean i would need to setup my own company outside of work and can this be done??

many thanx

It is just a case of applying for your own card. circa £500 last time I heard. Tax isn't my forte, but you will need to declare any extra earnings if you want to go by book.
Your current employer may also need to know dependant on your contractual agreement with them if you are doing other work on side.

1000's of employed gas engineers have their own GSR number so that they can do work, contact GSR complete a form pay your dosh then sort out the business side of things to pay tax & NI etc very straight forward process

thanx for the replies guys. im paying for the course myself so if i register myself first, how much does it cost the company i work for to add me to the register as my company is already registered gas safe??

thanx for the replies guys. im paying for the course myself so if i register myself first, how much does it cost the company i work for to add me to the register as my company is already registered gas safe??

2 different things here doesnt matter which happens first, it will cost your company £63 to add you to their register, it will cost you £425 to "create" a new addition to the register, thereafter it is about £200 per year to maintain your individual registration (it costs every company the £200 to re-register every year which includes 1 employee, so self emplyed guy pays £200, and BG pay £200 + £63 for every additional employee)

dont tell tax man anything do the work pocket the cash ...........

dont tell tax man anything do the work pocket the cash ...........

lol

surely you wouldnt be able to commision the boiler or other appliance properly as you wouldnt be able to file the work with gas safe. if filing the work with gas safe, surely its all tracable for the tax man

i hate payin tax

no its not traceable you just say that all you did is commission the boiler for £50 lol.
do you think the tax man is going to chase people that are doing a bit of work at weekends ? I don't think so the tax man is not going to check with gas safe if you did a boiler or not its obvious
pay the fools nothing that's my moto

Hmmm ... maybe I'm too honest disclosing all my earnings ...

we have bright guys on this site and it doesnt take a rocket scientist or even a gas engineer to work out you dont have to pay them from a homer .......

Dear o dear, I have a friend who is a tax investigator. The amounts of money they get for the revenue from people doing this is increadable , it pays all the departments wages and then some ! How do they find these people . Simple little clues on forums !!!!!!!!!

Dear o dear, I have a friend who is a tax investigator. The amounts of money they get for the revenue from people doing this is increadable , it pays all the departments wages and then some ! How do they find these people . Simple little clues on forums !!!!!!!!!

ha I don't do it personally just saying :)

I dont underestimate the cunning nature of the tax inspector...you wouldnt believe the means they go to to find unpaid tax. Its best to speak to an accountant to get advice on tax "efficicency"...its their job to help you pay the least tax possible...thats what they get paid for

this matter is closed lets all pay tax on every little homer we can get and on everything else, grow old and then told tough there is no money for pensions. sounds good eh

set yourself up as part time self employed, get your own UTR number, anything you then pay for becomes tax deductable including your course and 200 quid every year , put some monies through your buisness including some cash and theyll leave you alone .... one hopes

its an old post, but seeing as it has been relivened, gonna have my say cos this gets me mad.
my understanding of being able to work on gas is
"you have to be competent and have to registered to an authorised governing body"
something along those lines.
i am both. fair enuf my registration is thru my employer, but i am registered.
i now go to my neighbours house and fix his boiler. say ime getting paid for the job so we dont get into that arguement. i charge him a tenner and give taxman his 4pounds or whatever (irrelevant)
who can possibly say ive done something illegal or have worked out of scope.
its just about who the governing body is making up the rules to suit to earn extra money out of me.
it aint happening mr governing body ! i do a foreigner a year, on paperwork i dont include company reg number just my registration number. you know what happens. come time for guarantee work it wont be honoured cos i didnt put that number in the box.
its just wrong, money grabbing imho.
migo vented.

How have u got GS logo on here if you arent gas safe registered?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
d'oh, just realised this was 2010!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
its an old post, but seeing as it has been relivened, gonna have my say cos this gets me mad.
my understanding of being able to work on gas is
"you have to be competent and have to registered to an authorised governing body"
something along those lines.
i am both. fair enuf my registration is thru my employer, but i am registered.
i now go to my neighbours house and fix his boiler. say ime getting paid for the job so we dont get into that arguement. i charge him a tenner and give taxman his 4pounds or whatever (irrelevant)
who can possibly say ive done something illegal or have worked out of scope.
its just about who the governing body is making up the rules to suit to earn extra money out of me.
it aint happening mr governing body ! i do a foreigner a year, on paperwork i dont include company reg number just my registration number. you know what happens. come time for guarantee work it wont be honoured cos i didnt put that number in the box.
its just wrong, money grabbing imho.
migo vented.

1. why should your employer pay for you to earn money
2. if you leave there GS number you are saying that you did it for them and so they are in trouble as well as you

1. why should your employer pay for you to earn money
2. if you leave there GS number you are saying that you did it for them and so they are in trouble as well as you

the only way i can put it is -

I have a driving license to drive any motor vehicle but that does not allow me to jump in anyones car and drive it i need insurance cover and the relevant paperwork. gas work is the same .i know lots who do boiler changes at the wk end and just fill in the bench mark with their company gas number its not untill the customer has a fault with the boiler they realise its not covered by warranty

Small word of advice, if you get a tax inspection, conduct it in your accountants office. otherwise they will want to look at your diary (bookings) computer (accounts before you all doctored them), box of invoices etc (to see what you really charged) wifes knicker drawer (only joking-I hope). Dont ever let them into your home they can look at anything! they seem to have more rights than the police and customs!!!!!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to gas safe number and work outside of work!! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

• Article
A Plumber Who Worked Illegally Gets A Suspended Sentence After Falsely Claiming To Be Gas Safe Registered. A Plumber in Herefordshire was...
Replies
Views
Hi, I’m looking to retrain as a gas engineer and do a new entrants gas course. I’m a bit concerned by the ‘on-job’ work experience/shadowing, as...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm looking for a gas engineer who I can work with so I can complete my portfolio. I have done level 2 and 3 tech cert along with bpec gas...
Replies
Views
Hi, need your honest views if you would be so kind. I’m 48 and work for the NHS (office based) and earn 44k a year. Ive been do fustrated and fed...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone I currently work in oil and gas industry working in North Sea and further afield operating on high pressure oil and gas plants. This...
Replies
Views
Back