Discuss Gas pipe sleeving, both sided internal in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

sdsparks

Afternoon all

Running a gas pipe through an internal wall, both sides are internal, usually you would seal the internal side so in the event of a leak it vents externally but in this case both sides are internal, opinions please?

Thanks

Sam

if you chose to seal one side then leave the side open thats to the most used room. This will mean you will have a better chance of smelling the leak without it having a chance to build up i guess.

Great suggestion, although on this occasion it's an open plan room, the pipes are going through a small section of wall

Thanks

Sam

From BS 6891 (Installation of low pressure gas pipework of up to 35 mm in domestic premises (2nd family gas) - Specification):

Sleeves shall pass through the full width of the wall or the full thickness of the floor. Sleeves shall not impair the fire resistance of a building.
The annular space between the pipe and the sleeve shall be sealed at one end to the pipe with flexible fire resistant compound. Where a sleeve passes through an exterior wall, the seal shall be on the inside of the wall.

Looks like you need to seal one end. Have to choose one.

Hope it helps.

It really doesn't make that much difference if it's open planned?
Main reason for sealing it is so you can smell the gas in the most used area if there's a leak.
Unless you get an extremely picky inspection I would suggest it makes no odds?

i wonder what percentage of sleaves actually get sealed correctly? and of thoses how many get sealed with a fire rated material? many companies to save money try to get you to sleave with plastic pipes to save on copper, a lenght of 35mm coppers is very expensive when the profit margin is 1% of the job.

you seal the 22mm to the wall at both sides then run 15mm through with no seal.
in the regs there are 2 explanations and the interpretation is the key.

i wonder what percentage of sleaves actually get sealed correctly? and of thoses how many get sealed with a fire rated material? many companies to save money try to get you to sleave with plastic pipes to save on copper, a lenght of 35mm coppers is very expensive when the profit margin is 1% of the job.

You cannot plastic pipe to sleeve gas pipe. Also, you would only use 28mm sleeve 22mm supply.

the regs just say the sleeve must be capable of containing gas in the event of a leak.
That means a sleeve could be copper or pvc or other suitable material.

Pvc pipe cannot be used for the carriage of gas inside the property. Pvc pipe can only be used to provide an external supply to a property.

Pvc pipe cannot be used for the carriage of gas inside the property. Pvc pipe can only be used to provide an external supply to a property.
Thats not the point in question. It is pertaining to sleeving through walls,

17c5d624d6760a20ceceb67889d3a2e2.jpg

You cannot plastic pipe to sleeve gas pipe. Also, you would only use 28mm sleeve 22mm supply.

wrong

what if the gas pipe is 28mm, what size would your use?????????? maybe 35mm???

start a new thread, this ones so 2011 :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Gas pipe sleeving, both sided internal in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16...
Replies
Views
Hi, We're in the process of upgrading 2 bathrooms in our house: the ensuite and the family bathroom. These adjoin one another. The ensuite is...
Replies
Views
Hi, I am replacing our 11 year old boiler (due to H.Ex. leak) with a new one. This is in a "sealed" system with red expansion vessel in airig...
Replies
Views
Hi, I've not posted for a while, not a plumber, but a keen DIYer who likes to try and do things without bodging if I can. Basically I'm wanting to...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I have an old toilet on the top floor (to be removed) which empties into an outdoor vertical SVP and into the ground. The pipe is...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock