Search the forum,

Discuss Gas pipe and boiler control switch searation distance in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

stratplus

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
What are people's interpretation of the above?
Example:
Gas pipe running surface up to the boiler and fused switch for the boiler.

Regs state meters, fuseboxes and SWITCHGEAR to be 150mm apart. Would you class a boiler fuse spur (not socket) as switchgear (similar to a light switch).

Last edited:
I thought it was 150mm if unfused and fused 25mm..Like mcb's on consumer unit.

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought it was 150mm if unfused and fused 25mm..Like mcb's on consumer unit.

Electric supply and distribution cables should be 25mm from the gas pipe.
I suppose with a standard switch you can get an arc which you wouldn't get from a cable hence the 150mm.

Switchgear in this case doesn't mean light switches it more like an old style Crabtree double pole switch in a metal clad enclosure capable of interrupting something in the region of a 60 amp supply.

No switch has 3mm separation as does a fused spur. Idea is that if less than 4mbar drop may not be diluted enough not to ignite

Gas safe inspector wants 150mm between gas pipe and cooker switch. How is that different to a fused spur/switch?

probably the ampage. i thought the seperation distance was to do with arcing to the copper pipe ie more amps bigger spark..

Last edited by a moderator:
probably the ampage. i thought the seperation distance was to do with arcing to the copper pipe ie more amps bigger spark..

It's sultanas not amperage. No u get an arc at 1v or 400,000v it's 150mm from anything that can disconnect the supply voltage .

yes. tape the pipe up with insulation tape or use another type of barrier like some boxing.

Gas safe inspector wants 150mm between gas pipe and cooker switch. How is that different to a fused spur/switch?

Its not different the same applies even if fused,

yes. tape the pipe up with insulation tape or use another type of barrier like some boxing.

This is the job where no gas boxes have been fitted in the timber frame. Scrapped them all and running new pipe surface but the sparks have fitted the boiler spurs about 50mm from where the gas pipe should run up to the boiler.

Its no different. If you want go by letter of law(British standards) then gas pipe must be at least 150mm from sockets, switches, consumer units etc. and 25mm from cables. Unless suitably separated from insulating material.

Its no different. If you want go by letter of law(British standards) then gas pipe must be at least 150mm from sockets, switches, consumer units etc. and 25mm from cables. Unless suitably separated from insulating material.

The sparks have put the programmer right next to where the gas runs up to the boiler. Is the programmer considered to be a switch and does the 150mm still apply here. It's a right game piping gas to these boilers on this job if that's the case.

Last edited:
If the programmer switches 230v then yes the 150mm should apply. Why would a sparks want to fit anything underneath a boiler, poor position in anybody's book.

If the programmer switches 230v then yes the 150mm should apply. Why would a sparks want to fit anything underneath a boiler, poor position in anybody's book.

Originally the gas was in the wall (timber frame) but hadn't been boxed so these were scrapped so a new pipe could be run up to the boiler surface. Programmer has been first fixed right under the boiler which now makes running the gas awkward.

Remove the programmer. . Spark is a plumber with no brain or GS card

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Gas pipe and boiler control switch searation distance in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Hi guys. I'm trying to identify a toilet model before ordering a seat for a customer. I went to what used to be a Roca stockist (they no longer are) and one of the guys there reckoned it might be "The Gap". I went to the new stockist and the guy there disagreed it was "The Gap" and that he'd...
Replies
Views
Morning to any Australians lurking around! Register its free, then message me, I'll sort your account out for you. We will need a moderator from each main country too. I'll post this in the Australian forum now.
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock