Discuss Gas hob clearance in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Rab0301

Hi, I was asked to install a gas hob today, the manufacturers inst recommend 300mm to any combustable material at side of hob, the clearance I have is 60mm as there is a tall unit at the side, there is going to be a toughened glass splashback behind the hob and kitchen fitter insists he will continue this round and put toughened glass on the side of tall unit. What do you guys think? Would This be a ok installation??

ring the manufacturers and ask then if they say ok get this approved by them in a email if they say no you cant fit it

If you have the hob, you must have the instruction manual, it will tell you in there. The clearance is not just for heat, it is for air flow and pan handles.

300mm to the side is recommended/preferred, but can be reduced to 50mm if non combustible, as per the BS, can't remember the number off hand, but as others have said the specific mi top trumps the BS and there might be other considerations mentioned in the MI

Hi Rab,

The clearances are also for fire rating.

You may need to know the heat transfer capabilities / resistance of the glass and what the material is behind the glass.
I think that if you find the materials behind the glass are flammable then the clearances you have will not comply with regulations. - They wouldn't in Aus. anyway - assume it would be the same over there.

Glass can withstand a lot of heat, and it can also transfer that heat to flammable materials.
You may have to contact the glass manufacturer and get some information - in writing - to see if there product is suitable to be within the distances to the flame, particularly when pots are on the cooker.

I would be checking with as many people as possible to cover your backside.

It has become a real issue over here with glass splash-backs.

Oz Plumber

put some 6mm supalux behind the glass, get permission of the manufacturer and then fit it. or call the stupid idiot who designed the kitchen and tell him/her they need to cover the costs of the redesign.

Here is one i just thought about. Lots of kitchens being fitted over the past few years with mdf backboards less than 50mm from the back of the hob? Right or wrong there are plenty out there.

This stuff i'm on about
937-1661-1.jpg

Hi, I was asked to install a gas hob today, the manufacturers inst recommend 300mm to any combustable material at side of hob, the clearance I have is 60mm as there is a tall unit at the side, there is going to be a toughened glass splashback behind the hob and kitchen fitter insists he will continue this round and put toughened glass on the side of tall unit. What do you guys think? Would This be a ok installation??

I make no comment on the regs but would you trust a kitchen fitter?

Thanks for all the advice guys, will be back on job tomorrow, first thing i will do is phone the manufacturer, if they approve, the supalux behind splash back isnt a bad idea! thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Gas hob clearance in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock