Discuss Gas boiler feeds UFH only - is a Mixer needed? in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

I've searched the forums for an hour - not found anything specific on this question.

Question 1- can we remove the UFH Mixer - and just set the Boiler Flow to 45deg?

Background (and see diagram)
I'm Helping our village hall, 14 year old UFH heating - the gas boiler just packed up - getting a new 35-40Kw balanced flue eg Viessmans, vallaint

Low Loss Header - between the boiler and the rest
Pumps - the UFH has a chunky one -after the Mixer
  • No pumps at the manifolds.
  • no mixers at the manifolds, just actuators

Q2) Would 'no-mixer' reduce the boiler efficiency? - given it's deltaT will be ~ 7-10 deg - (not the usual 20 that people talk about with rad systems).

* the 7-10 degree value comes from a @John.g post I saw while

Condensing efficiency is higher - many people say - at lower temps - so that is not an issue.

Q3) Would the boiler simply run for 'longer bursts' with shorter gaps - without the mixer?

PS
In 5-10 years - maybe they will move to HeatPumps... so a Mixer will definitely not be needed then..

Attachments

• Village Hall UFH -  is a Mixer needed.png
    Village Hall UFH - is a Mixer needed.png
    81.6 KB · Views: 18
If the boiler is only required for UFH heating only, then, Q1, IMO, yes, remove mixer.
Q2: Boiler efficiency will be excellent, as the return temperature will be very low, in the region of 35/38C.

Yes do you have the spec of the ufh as 40kw is a lot ?

40 kw of ufh is alot as Shaun said I did a 12 m x 6 m room and that's was 14 kw ?? Viessman, or Valliant can be range rated and set to a low run temperature . Kop

Also another thing it’s kw at design temp eg 35 or 40dc etc so let’s say boiler was 80
Your half your load

The boiler will definitely produce the same, or even slightly more power, at the lower flow temperature, as it will be condensing more.

With no TMV but with a LLH, your flows etc should look like this at a 35kw UFH demand at a dT of 10C.

I wonder if a LLH is even (theoretically) required as with the boiler flow/return temps and the UFH flow/return temps exactly the same then the secondary pump is only acting as a booster pump?.
1664962279496.png

Last edited:
Thanks @John.g for doing the calcs -you're a star!

The 2012 docs state
* a total flow rate of 58 l / min at manifolds (commissioning doc) - versus your diagram says 50 - so pretty close

* across 2 Zones: Manifold 1 - has 8 actuators - 25 l/min against 23kPa -says commissioning doc.
------------------------ manifold 2 - has 10 actuators - 33 l/ min
----------------------- individual actuators flow range from 2.9 lmin to 3.6 lmin

Flow temps
The original 2012 design docs say UFH Flow 55m return 45.
But we seem to have run UFH at values ranging from 45 to 50 the last year or 2 (according the 24/7 temp logging we put in - from openenergymonitor.org
I wonder if a LLH is even (theoretically) required

Good question. It's already in situ - so no work to leave it there.
- but there is a little more complexity than I've given above.

Extra circuit - 2nd circuit after LLH -with own pump: for Radiator loop.
Used to be fed at 70 deg -when the old boiler ran at that
There are 10 rads across the building but in reality virtually never used.
So we decided to run them at 45 degrees.

So the LLH header cold maybe be helpful (I'm guessing) to allow the flow rate fluctuation as the radiator pump runs ./ or not: and the UFH zones flow rate fluctuates as Zone 1and or Zone 2 actuators close?

Have you thoughts - on how we balance the two pumps for the two (UFH, Rads) circuits after we move to 45deg Flow?

radiator - full details
  • only 1 room (with 1 rad) is used much.
  • some rads at the end of the bigger of the 2 Halls (10% of total hall area) - the UFH heating was not built there because of marble floor: in the past they've been off mostly, in the controller anyway
  • spec doc says : stelrad planar K2 - total sizing: 16kw

Last edited:

Reply to Gas boiler feeds UFH only - is a Mixer needed? in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, I have a 3 storey house built in 1904. We put UFH in the house about 20 years ago. Works well with newish gas boiler. Just curious... I know...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have a combi boiler that supplies hot water to two ufh manifolds. We only have ufh and no radiators. I am trying to find the most efficient...
Replies
Views
Hi, I am replacing our 11 year old boiler (due to H.Ex. leak) with a new one. This is in a "sealed" system with red expansion vessel in airig...
Replies
Views
S
Hello all I have a Worchester Bosch greenstar 32CDi combi with an S plan, 3port for UFH downstairs (4 zones) via manifold & mixer valve, &...
Replies
Views
StuckWithUFH
S
Hi folks, i've just moved into a property last month and begun to take note of things that may need attention. One of which is the feed to a...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock