Discuss G3 qualification and unvented hot water cylinder certificate in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

My main concerns are: it's a legal requirement and if I were to sell the house solicitors would enquire about it, I have no idea if it is installed correctly, and I presume any warranty is invalid if it hasn't been installed by a competent person.

Maybe I'm worried about nothing but is it legal to install these and then not provide a certificate? (Assuming he has a G3)
so how does a competent person prove he's competent when he does not have to prove he's competent? who guards the guard?

No. Assuming this is a standard domestic installation he should should normally be a member of a scheme and can self-certify the installation via the scheme. There is an alternative route, which is to notifiy Building Control prior to installation, then have them inspect the installation once its done but I've never known a qualified plumber do it this way.

Until proved otherwise, work on the assumption that you've been conned and now have a problem on your hands. That means building control, trading standards, solicitor or citizen's advice, etc. Check your buildings insurance to see if you have 'legal cover'. As advised above, try Building Control first. If you're polite and make it clear you're trying to do the right thing I've always found them very helpful.

You want to get it fixed now while you can still use the Small Claims Court to recover costs from your plumber. Don't leave it until you sell the house because it is very likely to become an issue at that point. Also, incorrectly installed unvented HW systems are potentially very dangerous. That's why they are regulated.
1. Trading standards won't get involved. Why should they? 2. Solicitor? just throwing money away, how do you get to lay a private prosecution in the courts? 3. Small claims court..how do you find a forensic plumber to prepare the documents? YOu don't, you would need a real engineer to do that..expensive..

1. Trading standards won't get involved. Why should they? 2. Solicitor? just throwing money away, how do you get to lay a private prosecution in the courts? 3. Small claims court..how do you find a forensic plumber to prepare the documents? YOu don't, you would need a real engineer to do that..expensive..
Hi green grant,

Sorry, I don't really understand your questions in your recent posts. Are you asking them to me?

so how does a competent person prove he's competent when he does not have to prove he's competent? who guards the guard?

A competent person will hold a current G3 qualification which allows him or her to install commission and then sign off the installation which will then inform building control of the work and allow a certificate to be issued.
Its the customers responsibility to check the installer's qualification and insurance before work commences there will always be installer's who bend the rules. Kop

1. It's unlawful for an unqualified trader to install an unvented HW system. Someone doing so will certainly be of interest to trading standards.

2. I was not proposing a 'private prosecution'. I suggested a solicitor as a possible source of advice about how to make a successful civil claim. Many solicitors offer a short free intitial consultation, which is enough to gain some useful tips and a view as to the costs and benefits of trying to claim.

3. You don't need a 'forensic plumber' for a case of this sort. A quotation from any G3-qualified plumber stating what needs to be done to rectify the problem(s) will be enough. Small claims courts not only do not normally require what I'd call 'expert reports' it discourages their use to save costs unless they are strictly necessary.

BTW, real (i.e. chartered) engineers are good value in the cases where their expertise is needed. If they can't offer good value they will explain this to the potential client and suggest a cheaper solution. E.g. by getting a quote from a G3-qualified plumbing firm...

Did you tell them when you passed your qualification? They match them up with your national insurance number. Might need to see your certificate to prove.
I’ll have another chat with them. Got all my domestic/commercial/catering/water regs, just not my g3.

Anyone else think it’s a Sod take that water regs/g3 is 3 year renewal as opposed to 5 like gas.

Reply to G3 qualification and unvented hot water cylinder certificate in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold...
Replies
Views
  • Article
A Plumber Who Worked Illegally Gets A Suspended Sentence After Falsely Claiming To Be Gas Safe Registered. A Plumber in Herefordshire was...
Replies
Views
Hi, Later this year I am going away for a 2 week holiday and as the weather will be warm there is no need for the heating to be on and arguably...
Replies
Views
The left rear floor corner is highest (the shower pan touches/sits on the floor), sloping down diagonally to the front right corner (lowest). The...
Replies
Views
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock