Discuss G3 qualification and unvented hot water cylinder certificate in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Is this right?
No. Assuming this is a standard domestic installation he should should normally be a member of a scheme and can self-certify the installation via the scheme. There is an alternative route, which is to notifiy Building Control prior to installation, then have them inspect the installation once its done but I've never known a qualified plumber do it this way.

Until proved otherwise, work on the assumption that you've been conned and now have a problem on your hands. That means building control, trading standards, solicitor or citizen's advice, etc. Check your buildings insurance to see if you have 'legal cover'. As advised above, try Building Control first. If you're polite and make it clear you're trying to do the right thing I've always found them very helpful.

You want to get it fixed now while you can still use the Small Claims Court to recover costs from your plumber. Don't leave it until you sell the house because it is very likely to become an issue at that point. Also, incorrectly installed unvented HW systems are potentially very dangerous. That's why they are regulated.

No. Assuming this is a standard domestic installation he should should normally be a member of a scheme and can self-certify the installation via the scheme. There is an alternative route, which is to notifiy Building Control prior to installation, then have them inspect the installation once its done but I've never known a qualified plumber do it this way.

Until proved otherwise, work on the assumption that you've been conned and now have a problem on your hands. That means building control, trading standards, solicitor or citizen's advice, etc. Check your buildings insurance to see if you have 'legal cover'. As advised above, try Building Control first. If you're polite and make it clear you're trying to do the right thing I've always found them very helpful.

You want to get it fixed now while you can still use the Small Claims Court to recover costs from your plumber. Don't leave it until you sell the house because it is very likely to become an issue at that point. Also, incorrectly installed unvented HW systems are potentially very dangerous. That's why they are regulated.
Very well explained Chuck .

GC2 a question for you have you and the installer fallen out over this ? , If not then I would be contacting him again tell him you need a certificate much the same as the one he has provided for the gas boiler install, if he's unable to supply this then maybe he has a colleague who can check it over and recommission it not ideal but it does happen and would get you round the problem, if this doesn't spur him on then contact your local building control to have the cylinder install inspected it's worth the £85 ish for the peace of mind your home insurance stays valid you and your family stay safe and should you sell the property then the correct paperwork is in place it's easy enough to check with gas Safe register to see if he's G3 or not although there other institutions who can issue authority to do installs bpec ect . Regards kop

Attachments

• 16105193852438550260386307342668.jpg
    16105193852438550260386307342668.jpg
    202.5 KB · Views: 22

Thanks for your reply. And to everyone's replies. All very helpful. I'll speak to my plumber again and see what he says. Not very hopeful that he'll say, "Oh sorry, my mistake. Of course I'm completely qualified and I'll get it sorted for you."

GC2 a question for you have you and the installer fallen out over this ? , If not then I would be contacting him again tell him you need a certificate much the same as the one he has provided for the gas boiler install, if he's unable to supply this then maybe he has a colleague who can check it over and recommission it not ideal but it does happen and would get you round the problem, if this doesn't spur him on then contact your local building control to have the cylinder install inspected it's worth the £85 ish for the peace of mind your home insurance stays valid you and your family stay safe and should you sell the property then the correct paperwork is in place it's easy enough to check with gas Safe register to see if he's G3 or not although there other institutions who can issue authority to do installs bpec ect . Regards kop
No we haven't fallen out so I'll phone him again today. I thought this was what he might suggest if he wasn't qualified. I was a bit surprised that he just left a message saying - Nothing to do with me. Not particularly looking forward to the call...

No we haven't fallen out so I'll phone him again today. I thought this was what he might suggest if he wasn't qualified. I was a bit surprised that he just left a message saying - Nothing to do with me. Not particularly looking forward to the call...
Just tell him you're conserns A - Your home insurance could be affected as you have no cert to say it's fitted correctly , B - if you sell the property then the buyers solicitor will want to see the certificate, offer to work with him to get the situation resolved . Regards Kop

Just tell him you're conserns A - Your home insurance could be affected as you have no cert to say it's fitted correctly , B - if you sell the property then the buyers solicitor will want to see the certificate, offer to work with him to get the situation resolved . Regards Kop
Thanks. I have now done this. He assures me he is qualified but has just never needed to do this in 25 years of plumbing. I'm not sure how easy it is do certify it afterwards but he says he will. Thanks again everyone for all your help

Reply to G3 qualification and unvented hot water cylinder certificate in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold...
Replies
Views
  • Article
A Plumber Who Worked Illegally Gets A Suspended Sentence After Falsely Claiming To Be Gas Safe Registered. A Plumber in Herefordshire was...
Replies
Views
Hi, Later this year I am going away for a 2 week holiday and as the weather will be warm there is no need for the heating to be on and arguably...
Replies
Views
The left rear floor corner is highest (the shower pan touches/sits on the floor), sloping down diagonally to the front right corner (lowest). The...
Replies
Views
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock