Discuss fused spur in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

erj

Gas Engineer
We changed a combi for a new main a few weeks ago, BG have been out and say they will not take it on as the main switch is a 13 amp plug in to a socket, they say it has to be a fused spur, who is right?

They do like it to be a fused spur. And to be fair its only meant to be a temp fix running off a plug. Plus all boilers need to be ran off 3amp not 13amp

Fused spur as its a permanently fitted electrical appliance and 3 amp rated fuse.

Vaillant instructions say:
"Connection to the mains supply shall be made via a fused 3 pin plug to an unswitched shuttered socket, both complying with the
requirements of BS 1363. (Alternatively, connection may be made via a 3 A fused double pole isolator having a contact separation of at least 3 mm in all poles and supplying the boiler and controls only)."
So I suppose that BG would ignore the manufacturers instructions. What do the Main instructions say? At least you could confirm with your customer that you've followed the MIs...​

you should have a 3 amp double pole fused spur,but i prefer a 3 amp plug,you cant get killed if its unplugged

That was the logic we always followed Gas Man. Now I think spurs look neater, that said I do occasionaly use a plug always have a box of 3 amp plugs in the van

it used to be that corgi required switch fused spurs only.
then out came part P and plumber not on part P register - corgi then said ok plug and socket fitted with a 3 amp fuse is ok.(bypasses part P)
now 17th edition reg 537.3.2.6 states
A plug and socket-outlet or similar device of rating not exceeding 16 amps may be used as a device for switching off for mechanical maintenance.
but reg 537.4.2.8 states
A plug and socket -outlet or similar device shall not be selected as a device for emergency switching.
confusing well yes when i bought the regs it said ÂŁ15 on the front and ÂŁ51 on the back - and it never got any less confusing in the middle.
hope this helps cheers

Sounds like an excuse for BG not to take a main on contract
i agree, nowt wrong with a 3amp plug, just a matter of choice and circumstance when installing. imo

baxi main.

NOTE: The method of connection to the
electricity supply must facilitate complete electrical
isolation of the appliance.

Connection may be via a fused double-pole isolator
with a contact separation of at least 3mm in all
poles and servicing the boiler and system controls
only.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to fused spur in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello, I am seeking some advice, I have a POTTERTON PROMAX 28 COMBI Boiler and I noticed yesterday that the water around the house is no longer...
Replies
Views
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two...
Replies
Views
S
Hi, I seemed to have a blockage in kitchen sink. A plumber came and cleared all the pipework that is visible inside my home (there was debris and...
Replies
Views
Sonya K
S
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Hi guys....we have an old Astracast sink top....I think its a composite sink....has a big single bowl. My wife thinks it looks scruffy....looks...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock