Discuss Full strip down or not? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Paulplumb

Hi all. I am a little bit stuck and I was hoping for some advice please. It is my understanding that if you perform a combustion check using a FGA and the ratios are less than 0.004 then there is no need to complete a complete strip down and clean of the boiler as the ratio would have indicated if there was a problem with the boiler. However some boiler manuals indicate that this is the correct method yet most manuals I have seen do not mention trigger levels, they only detail the complete stripping and cleaning of the boiler. What is the general opinion on here?

It is my understanding that BG brought in this trigger level style servicing as they found that 20% of their breakdown call outs were coming from boilers they had just stripped down and cleaned. So I can see the benefits of the trigger points, nobody likes a call back.

Also there is the pricing thing. How would an engineer doing complete strip downs compete price wise on a boiler service compared to an engineer only stripping down if the trigger point had been reached?

Still need to inspect inside combustion cover, checking for any signs of water leakage or corrosion etc.

Problem with BG is they're bigger than the bodies that govern them, so they essentially can do whatever they like as they put themselves above the law. Ignore their procedures and follow the manufacturers instructions.

So depending on the boiler, action levels will be outlined in the M.I.s, along with guidance on when a full strip down should be performed.

For instance, I went to repair an ideal Mexico today, if it had been serviced properly in accordance with the instructions rather than FGA'd once a year, it wouldn't have failed.

a lot of boilers have a pressure test these days which will indicate whether they need a service,
you'll need a digital gauge as a standard water u gauge isnt sensitive enough, and a magnifying glass to go through the MI to find what that trigger point is

as with all these things MI overrule all else

british gas are dangerous with there performance test, customers think theyre getting a full safety test when someone just comes round and tests the flue gases

Last edited:
a lot of boilers have a pressure test these days which will indicate whether they need a service,
you'll need a digital gauge as a standard water u gauge isnt sensitive enough, and a magnifying glass to go through the MI to find what that trigger point is

british gas are dangerous with there performance test, customers think theyre getting a full safety test when someone just comes round and tests the flue gases

That's a ridiculous accusation to make, how can you say British Gas are dangerous when they have a safety record second to none considering he amour of engineers they employ, I would say there are a lot more unsafe joe blogs out there.

That's a ridiculous accusation to make, how can you say British Gas are dangerous when they have a safety record second to none considering he amour of engineers they employ, I would say there are a lot more unsafe joe blogs out there.

I'm not saying they're unsafe, I'm saying they make their own rules and we shouldn't try to follow their procedures.

EDIT Ignore me lol

What a ridiculous accusation to make, how can you accuse British Gas of being dangerous, British Gas have a great safety record, especially when you consider the amount of engineers they employ. Very ignorant statement to make IMHO.

it was that particlar service i was reffering to,
but now you mention it i've seen the mess some of their engineers have left behind, some of the present standards BG work to are far less than what i class as adequate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Full strip down or not? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock