Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Checkout our Plumbers Insurance area - heavily discounted Public Liability Insurance and Van Insurance specifically designed for plumbers.

Discuss From Military to Gas Engineer? Is this a good Career choice? in the Gas Safe Register Forum - Public Forum area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

1. pjjunior

pjjunior New Member

After 9 years of service I’ve decided to leave the Army. I’m currently a Weapon Systems Engineer and looking for a completed change.

So I’m interested in becoming a Gas Engineer. The choice of “Fast Track” courses is overwhelming, with all sorts of different qualifications and work placements ect promised.

I decided to come here to get some sort of incite of the trade from the Horses mouth.

So my questions -

Is this the correct career to pursue? I know the whole “Gas Engineer shortage” is hyped up.

Will anyone employ me? No experience in Gas apart from a hastily delivered “Fast track” course.

What qualifications should I be aiming to gain? One provider supplies “Level 3 Diploma in Gas Utilisation” is that worth anything in the industry?

Thanks for taking time to read my post, any advice is appreciated.

2. Gasmk1

Gasmk1 GSR

its a catch 22 without experience hard to get a job but then its hard to get experience. you will find most of the guys on here do not rate the fast track course. does your job in the army not point you to computer systems analysis type work ? dont get me wrong its a great job but i did it from leaving school through an apprenticeship with BG and never out of work. i am sur emost of the guys on here went down a similar route. thats why they wont recommend a fast track course. try to see if you can get a job with a company and train with them it will be longer and the money will be poor until your are qualified.

3. pjjunior

pjjunior New Member

Thanks for the reply.

Current job is purely mechanical based, problem is it’s so niche. Not much in terms of transferable skills.

I fully understand how “Fast Track” is viewed, I hold the same view. Unfortunately I have a mortgage to pay and a wife and kids to support, so this is the only option into the trade.

Is making a career via “Fast Track” unheard of?

4. Gasmk1

Gasmk1 GSR

no, but i dont have any evidence i am sure there are some on here who have dont it this way who may be able to inform you better

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Harvest Fields

Harvest Fields Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

Noni
    No. It is not mate. As stated above. Most on here would recommend being an apprentice or completing a college course. I’m ex services myself. What battalion/Rank are you.

6. pjjunior

pjjunior New Member

Thanks for reply. I’m A Cpl in the REME.

How did you approach the career change?

7. rpm

rpm Trusted Plumber Top Contributor!!

Hi, use the little search box (top R/H corner), use words such as training, fast track, train4skills, gas training, thinking this will give you some idea.
    Like the fact that you don`t believe the BS, sorry hype :) regarding how easy it is to earn megabucks after 6 weeks.
    (Non gsr)

8. Harvest Fields

Are you an armourer? I did it as my resettlement in the Midlands I carried all my leave over for 2 years (I had an awesome OC and CO,as you are not normally allowed to do this) and did a fast track course which was slightly longer than the ones available today. They let me leave early to start my course so rather than getting paid only when I was able to claim resettlement I got payed a few months before also. Where

9. pjjunior

pjjunior New Member

Yes I’m an Armourer, the Army changed the trade name to look more appealing to potential recruits.

I’m carrying 1 years leave over, with resettlement leave allowance and next years allowance added together gives me about 4 months paid leave.

There’s not a huge choice of training suppliers that are eligible for ELC, I was really interested in Kier, but no funding available from the MOD.

How did you transition from the Fast Track course into a career?

10. pjjunior

pjjunior New Member

Thanks for the reply, I’ll have a look :)

11. Harvest Fields

Are you fit and active? (No offence intended) if not dependant on what elements of the job you do can be quite tiring/demanding.

I did the same with my leave, glad you are aloud to do this more freely now. (It was an absolute pain in the A**E when I was in)

What training centres are available to the MOD now. The bloke I used did time for stealing extra money from the MOD.

From fast track to work is HARD if I am completely honest. You have to put more time, effort & listening in then the lads from apprenticeships and college. As your knowledge and skill set will be at minimum. Even to just do servicing. You have to be willing to work twice as hard. However I am one of the ones that have made it work (in my opinion) I was on the books with a company from when I left the ARMY until the company was taking over by a national consortium which then went bump. I now work for myself. Haven’t looked back since. But it is still hard work and I still learn something new almost every day.

Where are you looking at doing your course? (Location wise)

• Like Like x 1
  12. pjjunior

pjjunior New Member

Are you assuming that like most Armourers I’m a massive BIFF? ;) I’m a fit lad, always on PT. Pretty confident I’ll be able to handle the physical aspect.

I’m willing to put the effort in. I work well in both a classroom and hands on setting. You managed to get work before taking the course? This would be extremerly ideal.

I’ll be looking to work in Southampton, but for the course I’m happy with living away for the duration, so anywhere.

My main concern is completing the course, then being unable to get any sort of work. The longer I’m unable to get work/experience the harder it will be to get work/experience. It would then be a waste a lot of time, and money.

13. Harvest Fields

No mate. I had paid leave from the MOD for 3/4 months then had unpaid work for a little while. Then got a job at a medium 15 van family run business. You have to sell yourself mate. I.e hard working, good time keeping, logical, team player and self motivated. Tidy, clean, good problem solver, works well under pressure. I would start contacting companies now. Enquire as to what they are looking for. Explain your situation. Gone are the days when we had to fight as ex servicemen to get a job, companies are more open and welcoming to it now.

I will have an ask around here to see if anyone is doing resettlement training.

Are you attached to a regiment?

14. Rob Foster

Rob Foster Top Contributor!!

I think the transition from military to gas engineer is a good one. My drinking crew includes two ex deep sea saturation divers who moved to gas eng. the safety culture and attention to detail is easily transferable and they have stuck it for 20 years in jimbo’s case. The ended up with British Gas got all the training etc and job with pension at 40 ...it’s horses for courses ..go for it the school room stuff is peanuts to someone like yourself and working culture will be 2nd nature to you ...good luck and let me know how you fair please
    If your in north west I might know a man that can ...help you
    He got 50 vans on road doing 300 hard interventions per day and hungry for good men Rob Foster aka centralheatking

15. pjjunior

pjjunior New Member

Very late reply (Sorry) I'm attached to a regiment in Marchwood, previously attached to an Infantry Regiment in Germany. I'll look at contacting local businesses now.

As an employer what qualifications/courses would you consider essential/ideal?