Discuss Foul water drain issue in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

WJMarlow

Hi I have a foul water drainage system which has been laid by the house builder
There was a bad smell coming from it into the house so had a CCTV survey which demonstrates stagnant water in the drain
Had concerns about whether fall of the drain was correct so I viewed the house builder's plan for the system with a view to laser level checking the fall according to the plan.
But the plan shows a completely different layout of drains to what is in the ground so the heights shown on the plan are completely meaningless.

The house builder is saying that it is normal for there to be stagnant water in the drain - is this acceptable? - I would have thought that if the drains were laid with a consistent fall then the water should just drain away

Is this likely to be an issue with the fall being incorrect from the start or with subsidence causing part of the drain to sag?

Obviously, every single drain should have a reasonable fall so the water or waste will not stagnant. If it's stagnant then there is an installation problem.

Does the water back up ?

The only waste water which will stay would be the water in the siphon or trap so the bad smell wont come back.

Where does the smell come from ? You will need to check that if you flush a toilet that it doesn't suck the other traps empty otherwise bad smell coming through those traps.

as above but how much water are we talking about if its only a wee bit and doesnt go very far i would say its fine but if its something like 1/4 full somethings wrong

Hi Matchless.plumb
Water doesn't back up - just pools in the short section of drain outside the house - the same smell in the house as when the drain cover was opened
Only one toilet and one sink are connected to that drain - it's possible that the sink trap is getting sucked empty by the toilet flush but am going to fit an anti-vac device to try to stop this from happening

But my concerns are with the drain structure - another connecting drain has previously collapsed and now the water is pooling in this one - the anti-vac will solve the smell
but you've confirmed my suspicions that there is an installation issue and it is not acceptable for water to be pooling in it thanks - ill go back to the house builder with this

Hi ShaunCorbs
CCTV was a bit grainy but the section of drain is about 4m long and about 3m of it had about 1-2cm depth
The CCTV guys said it was an abnormal amount but they were fairly non-committal to me since the house-builder had commissioned their survey
They said it looked like it was blocked, but we've subsequently ruled this out
So I'm fairly sure that the amount of water pooled there is more than would be normally seen
Thanks!

Hi ShaunCorbs
CCTV was a bit grainy but the section of drain is about 4m long and about 3m of it had about 1-2cm depth
The CCTV guys said it was an abnormal amount but they were fairly non-committal to me since the house-builder had commissioned their survey
They said it looked like it was blocked, but we've subsequently ruled this out
So I'm fairly sure that the amount of water pooled there is more than would be normally seen
Thanks!

yea i would say as well somethings wrong maybe that section has just dropped slightly since it was installed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Foul water drain issue in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

First of all, apologies, it seems this topic has been posted but don't believe my specific issue is covered. So been living in my Victorian house...
Replies
Views
Hello All, I have an issue and hoping someone could shed some light on the problem. We have been getting a smell coming up in the bathroom...
Replies
Views
Hi all I really need some help or advise….. Back story….. Some years ago my dad had an extension to his house which included a newly built...
Replies
Views
About 10 months I started having issues with a gas like smell in my home and the gas board was unable to find any gas leak I've still got the...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have a few issues with my bath drainage and leaking. The first issue is that the near corner of the bath by the taps is sloped downwards...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock