Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss Flux corrosion time in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

southcoastboile

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Really wiered question but...........Anyone got any idea how long it would take for flux to corrode through the flexi annaconda pipe on a gas meter (if it even would). I have tried googling but cant seem to find any answers.

Really wiered question but...........Anyone got any idea how long it would take for flux to corrode through the flexi annaconda pipe on a gas meter (if it even would). I have tried googling but cant seem to find any answers.

35 light years and Booooom!

Why not use push fit :Angel_anim: then you won't need flux or a job, like the man says wipe
it off.

Last edited by a moderator:
hard for anyone to know for definite but within a fortnight I would say I commissioned a meter room all the work was nicely done by guys building portfolio,s within a few days I was told there was a smell of gas and Transco turned six or seven meters off and it could have only been tiny bits of flux flying off as the soldering was done you have to be so careful

Flux can eat through an anaconda in a few weeks.

Depends how much flux we're talking about!

A light year is a unit of distance and not time ;)

watch yo star trek :D

I thought we were having fun here, it really didn't think anyone one of you good members would ever leave any copper pipe gobbed with flux, time or distance, what the hell does it matter, but you are right it is distance:17:

Flux can eat through an anaconda in a few weeks.

Depends how much flux we're talking about!

How thin are your anaconda's down South:rolleyes2: a bit like my wife's Fiat you car hear it rusting on the drive

I am glad I joined, this is much better than watching Country-file and far more informative

i would say a week or two. Ive seen powerflow eat through trac pipe in about a week.

depends on brand of flux, heat and amount. If you ask the manufacturer they will have corrosion rates on metals, worst one is LACO, it even says on the tub "DO NOT USE ON ALUMINIUM" thanks for that LACO, I've only used you on about 200 Ideal boilers since 1984

depends on brand of flux, heat and amount. If you ask the manufacturer they will have corrosion rates on metals, worst one is LACO, it even says on the tub "DO NOT USE ON ALUMINIUM" thanks for that LACO, I've only used you on about 200 Ideal boilers since 1984

never been to sure about laco, ive mainly used powerflow for 18years but have used it now and then and most laco users tell me powerflow is alot worse. I know laco turns stuff green alot quicker than powerflow, ive been using a mixture of the two recently, probably twice as bad :(.

EVER FLUX!! Back on it, after I changed for a while after it started attacking me.

I use Power Flow for gas work.

That answers my question. I had no idea it would be that corrosive! I used ever flux. I wipe down all my fittings every time but I was told some flux had caused a leak on an annaconda. We had done a new boiler change. I guess a bit must have dripped off a fitting while someone was soldering the boiler connections. Lesson learnt. Will make sure everything is covered next time.

Did a new install had leak following day due to flux on anaconda wasn't that much flux either it was power flow flux.was warned by transco they were thin

If I'm soldering near an Anaconda I always cover it since a mate caused a leak by dripping powerflow on one.

I have carried out a number of investigation involving this issue. It revealed that it was not caused by any particular make of flux and in most case's it holed the flexi within a week or so. So if your in a situation where you accidentally get flux on a flexi. Wash it off thoroughly with water (not with detergent) and wipe it dry with a clean cloth.

Wow, thats news to me. Fortunately I never had this kind of problem as I use flux very sparsely and rather clean the pipe end with a pad. Will put that on my "extra care list".

went to a job where a bank of meters had been moved temporarily. 7 out of the 10 anacondas were pin holed from flux.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Flux corrosion time in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, My current hot water system needs to be replaced. Anyone got any suggestions or can recommend any plumbers around Derrimut area that won't...
Replies
Views
Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could...
Replies
Views
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock